rear tire

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by dalef2, Dec 13, 2012.

1. dalef2

dalef2 New Member

i have a 01 ultra classic, i had the rear tire put on about 5,000 miles ago,i had it a harley shop about 3 weeks, ago found out that my had been put on in the wrong rotation what should i do ?.

2. Lawdog314

Lawdog314 Active Member

Welcome to the forum! Is there any chance that the place you had install the tire would switch it for you? I would think they would take responsibility since it was their error.

Thankfully, nothing bad has happened so far, but it may in an emergency or if you pushed the performance limits. Personally, I'd get it switched. Good luck with whatever you decide.

3. dalef2

dalef2 New Member

not in business any more

4. Lawdog314

Lawdog314 Active Member

:newsmile055:

Bummer! I haven't changed one in a couple years, since last year I decided to just crash and total my old ride and the new one hasn't needed one, yet... If you have the equipment to get the wheel off, it isn't too expensive to just have the tire removed and replaced. Think my local Independent bike shop charged me $20 a few years ago. :newsmile093:

I honestly would pay to have it switched. Brakes and tires, when they fail when you need them, it usually ends very bad. :newsmile08:

5. Knotwillig

Knotwillig Member

As long as you drfve at the standard HD speed this will not be a problem

6. marknett

marknett Active Member

Those tires have a rotation arrow for a reason. I would change it .. A buddy of mine that has a trike does run his front tire against the rotation . I asked him why and he said it bites better with the real wheels pushing him .. Might just be a mind thing . Tires are your roadrash insurance.

7. The4opps1

The4opps1 Junior Member

IMO I would have it changed. It's my understanding that the tire rotation direction really comes into play when the weather gets wet. Seems to me that I read having the tire in the wrong direction can effect the way it moves the water away from the tire.

8. HDSickness

HDSickness Banned

:eam
    What exactly is "standard HD speed"?:eam

9. marknett

marknett Active Member

I think he might be referring to the letter stamp on the tire which converts to rated speed for that model tire .. :)

10. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member Contributor

That would be my guess.

Enjoy,
    Rich P