free website stats program Rear tire wear | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire wear

cowpoke

Noticed a little more tire wear on the left side of the rear tire, not the extreme left , but the left just past center of the tire.
I have several K mile on it so whatever it is it isn't extremely wrong.

My first guess is that the rear axle might need some adjusting. Just trying to determine which way to go with it.

Have you checked that rear wheel alignment is proper in swing arm?

It could be normal for the area in which you live/ride. Most roads have a crown, Northern roads more so than Southern roads.
The crown can make a tire wear slightly more on the left.
How true Pete, we are called flat landers now LOL, I try to find sweeping country roads to even out my tire wear

Thanks for the info/tips

Just to double check, if it weren't anything else (bad road, not aligned with front tire)
then I assume it would be the rear adjustment of the tire ie. left to right (some bikes have notches or other method to
keep left and right side at the same # of turns etc.) but not this one 1999 Softail custom.

Back to my original ?
My first guess is that the rear axle might need some adjusting. Just trying to determine which way to go with it.

Thanks for the info/tips

Just to double check, if it weren't anything else (bad road, not aligned with front tire)
then I assume it would be the rear adjustment of the tire ie. left to right (some bikes have notches or other method to
keep left and right side at the same # of turns etc.) but not this one 1999 Softail custom.

Back to my original ?

If the wheel is not aligned, it will show when you measure from the center of the pivot shaft to the center of the axle; the distance should be the same on both sides. If it is, axle adjustment is not the problem. Could be you just got a bad tire.:eek:

Get the service manual for your bike; best tool in the box.;)

Back