free website stats program rear tire size | Harley Davidson Forums

rear tire size

dave19

whats the difference between the 140/90/16 and a 150/80/16. i found that the 150 is said to be a low profile tire.and will a 150 fit a 04 road king.i do know the 140 is about 6.00 wide and the 150 is 6.25 wide but what is the side wall width.

whats the difference between the 140/90/16 and a 150/80/16. i found that the 150 is said to be a low profile tire.and will a 150 fit a 04 road king.i do know the 140 is about 6.00 wide and the 150 is 6.25 wide but what is the side wall width.

I have found that I can go ONE full size up on my bikes without a problem....

I go by this,,,,,,EACH full tire size UP is ABOUT 1/2 inch wider over all,,,, divide by 2 (each wall) = 1/4 " to a side... EXAMPLE from a 140 to a 150 is about a 1/4 inch wider on EACH side-wall dimension...

I like going with the ONE SIZE WIDER TIRE on the rear tire (than stock)..

DOUBLE check to see the BELT clears the side wall and FENDER width needs to be checked (internal wires inside fender area)... IF GOING MORE THAN ONE SIZE!

I haven't worried about the HEIGTH off the tire from 80 to 90.....

signed....BUBBIE

You really DO NOT gain any thing from going up one size in tires IMO . On my bike I only have about 3/8 of a inch clearence between the tire & the belt & IMO it is not worth it to go to a 1/8 inch clearence for no noticeable difference in looks or performance .

On my 2000 FXDS that came with a 140 size tire, I always used a 150 to replace the stock HD tire right from the get-go.... LIKED the looks and a bit more rubber on the road.

GRANTED some don't FEEL the NEED and they are right in their thinking.....

But I did WONDER WHY a few years later....... WHY DID HD GO TO A 150 ON THE REAR OF THE DYNAS.... did they copy me?....

I'm one of them "it takes all kinds"......

Now ask me if I want to put a 180 on that style bike??

NOOOOOOOOOO WAY. not even!!!

signed....BUBBIE

Back