free website stats program Rear tire repair | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire repair

Went to take my new fatboy out and noticed I had a flat rear tire(400miles on bike). Found a screw in the middle of the tread pattern. Can this be fixed by taking off tire and patching from the inside of the tire. I've done this with car tires not sure if its safe for a bike. Going into dealer to have fixed. THANKS for responses

That's a bummer, but I would replace the tire. On a bike you only have 2 wheels and a repaired tire could cost you your life.

I agree, I have plugged them on the road but changed them as soon as possible. Its just like good insurance..............

Be safe change it asap. We have a bad enough time out there with the weather,roads,animals and idiots.

H D does not recomend tire repairs I would replace it as soon as you can, I have limped them home with a plug but do not rely on this or a patch JMO:D

I'd repair a tire or patch a tube only to get me to where I could get a new one, not only is a safty issue but you will never have peace of mind knowing you're ridin on a repaired tire.

FatboySteve, I would use a Stop & Go Plug Kit (should carry one w/ CO2 inflator as a pre-caution as you never know what can happen on a trip) and since you are "home" just use old fashion bike pump and air it up...

http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

OR as Hobbit said use the aerosol Tire Inflator/Repair Sealant (the latter is disliked by tire changers because of the gooey mess)...just long enough to ride it to your dealer/tire repair servicer. As Glider said, you only have two wheels, and when one deflates suddenly, bad things can and often do happen.

FatboySteve, I would use a Stop & Go Plug Kit (should carry one w/ CO2 inflator as a pre-caution

Have been checking out these kits and was goin to start a thread to get some views but since the subject is already under discussion.....
does one of those little cannisters really inflate the tyre sufficiently to get you going again?...just seems so small! Does it give you a decent psi in your tyre?
Also, does the cannister nozzle fit all tyre valves? or do you need some kind of adaptor?

Thanks for all the input guys. I will have the tire replaced it's not worth the risk. Does anyone need a really good tire for a burnout contest? LOL

Have been checking out these kits and was goin to start a thread to get some views but since the subject is already under discussion.....
does one of those little cannisters really inflate the tyre sufficiently to get you going again?...just seems so small! Does it give you a decent psi in your tyre?
Also, does the cannister nozzle fit all tyre valves? or do you need some kind of adaptor?

In a nutshell yes, get the one with 3 or 4 cannisters (just in case), the CO2 refills are cheap (the larger ones are better of course). You can also get the basic one with small electric inflator if you are worried as some have done if you do not believe in using "new tech"

Back