free website stats program rear tire psi. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear tire psi.

Thank you for the web site. They say for 2 up the psi should be46-48 for the rear.Thanks Again.

Happy riding and be safe, let us know how the tires feel and wear intruding minds want to know:s

can 2 psi ( 36/38) really make much of a difference? I dont even think our usual tire guages are that accurate anyway.

Bill

can 2 psi ( 36/38) really make much of a difference? I dont even think our usual tire guages are that accurate anyway.

Bill

2 or 3 psi low increases the sidewall flex which in turn creates heat. I have the Doran Tire Pressure Monitors on my RK so I can continually check the pressure differential from cold to hot. Unless you have this unit it is a pain to do this kind of checking. This unit is also very accurate, measuring pressures to half a pound. You are right about cheap gauges being inaccurate as I have seen the as much as 10 pounds out when compared to the digital readout on the monitor. Using the 4 to 5 pound hot increase to set the cold pressure is a good way to get things right for whatever you ride as mentioned in previous post.

2 or 3 psi low increases the sidewall flex which in turn creates heat. I have the Doran Tire Pressure Monitors on my RK so I can continually check the pressure differential from cold to hot. Unless you have this unit it is a pain to do this kind of checking. This unit is also very accurate, measuring pressures to half a pound. You are right about cheap gauges being inaccurate as I have seen the as much as 10 pounds out when compared to the digital readout on the monitor. Using the 4 to 5 pound hot increase to set the cold pressure is a good way to get things right for whatever you ride as mentioned in previous post.

thanks for your response. As for me, I run my tires at the 2-up load PSI recommendations and keep them there. Very seldom do I ride alone. Was just saying -- 36 in rear tire while riding alone and 38 when riding with passenger - I dont keep switching back and forth --- thinking 2 PSI doesn't make a lot of difference in that case. PLUS I dont have a gage that accurate in the first place. -- perhaps I should get one.

Bill

thanks for your response. As for me, I run my tires at the 2-up load PSI recommendations and keep them there. Very seldom do I ride alone. Was just saying -- 36 in rear tire while riding alone and 38 when riding with passenger - I dont keep switching back and forth --- thinking 2 PSI doesn't make a lot of difference in that case. PLUS I dont have a gage that accurate in the first place. -- perhaps I should get one.

Bill
I remember a few years back being shocked at the difference my little checkers were showing. I pulled one out of the wife's car and it was terrible so I got rid of that one. Now I use one that is combination checker and filler and I don't mess with any others. So I'm right with you about not going for the ¼ pound psi. I pick a number and keep it there. Now I got nitrogen in the wifes car you don't need a special one for that do you?

I remember a few years back being shocked at the difference my little checkers were showing. I pulled one out of the wife's car and it was terrible so I got rid of that one. Now I use one that is combination checker and filler and I don't mess with any others. So I'm right with you about not going for the ¼ pound psi. I pick a number and keep it there. Now I got nitrogen in the wifes car you don't need a special one for that do you?

off hand I would say NO - psi is psi

Bill

Without even paying extra, you get 80% nitrogen out of any air compressor.

Really I've never heard about this, in fact I was wondering if I could put air in the tire on top of Nitrogen. Obviously I know you can but I wasn't part of the nitrogen deal on the Wife's car, in fact it is a cool story My neighbor gave my wife the car....1991 300 SEL Mercedes 100,000 miles and put $3800 in work on the engine before he gave it to her. $59,000 new in 91.

Really I've never heard about this, in fact I was wondering if I could put air in the tire on top of Nitrogen. Obviously I know you can but I wasn't part of the nitrogen deal on the Wife's car, in fact it is a cool story My neighbor gave my wife the car....1991 300 SEL Mercedes 100,000 miles and put $3800 in work on the engine before he gave it to her. $59,000 new in 91.

In round numbers, the air we breathe is 20% oxygen and 80% nitrogen. That is what an air compressor "inhales" and pressurizes to be put where ever desired. Dry nitrogen doesn't expand and contract with changes in temperature as much as regular air with the same temperature changes making it a bit more desirable for airplane tires. The NEED for it in car tires is open for debate and personal preference. Servicing a tire with air which previously had nitrogen service will just add more nitrogen, some oxygen and some humidity which wasn't there before the addition of the air. It won't cause a nuclear reaction or even generate a meat eating gel just waiting to escape. Personally, air has worked well for me for half a century, I see no reason to change now.

I tried the Nitrogen thing a while back. Did the complete purge and filled with high quality cylinder nitrogen (unlike what they use at tire stores). Tested, measured, recorded and the results were not impressive at all. Pressure increase from cold to hot was less but certainly still there. Loss of pressure over time was really about the same as plain old air. Bottom line for me was it is a waste of time and money.

Back