free website stats program rear tire psi. | Harley Davidson Forums

rear tire psi.

fattyboy

hi,all i have a 2001 road king.The back tire is a Metzler me 880 marathon,140/90 B16 m/c77h reinforced. Iam getting ready to ride 2 up does anybody no what tire psi i should run when cold.

I think with the ME880 is around 41 or 42lbs. I know when I ran them it was a few more that the Harley/Dunlop rear.

What does the tire say on the sidewall?
The psi on the sidewall is maximum.
The manufacture doesn't have any idea of what type of bike or load will be on the bike.
Check the tire manufactures web site and it should help you.
Metzeler tires run more air than Dunlops.

Agree - should see PSI on side of tire, along w/other #'s indicating tire size, rating, etc.

Although i dint have all the info on exact model of bike it seems to me that the correct size tyre for a bike of your type at that year should be an MT90 b16 which equates to a 130/90 b16 in which case the recommended psi would be 38
however if you have a custom tyre size you will need to work out a custom pressure
load the bike as it would be set the psi around 38 - 40 take bike for a ride get the tyres hot then check for hot pressure should be around 4 - 5 psi higher than cold if increase is more then the cold pressure is too low and if less the cold pressure is too high
the increase in psi when hot is caused by the air in the tyre getting hot and expanding most of the heat is generated by sidewall flexing so more psi means more heat which is more flexing tyre to soft to start with

Brian

Manual calls for 40 psi with two up on rear and 36 psi front for stock Dunlops>
I think I would go with that.

HEAT is what causes tires to fail. Heat is generated by tire flex. The more it flexes, the more heat it generates, so counter intuitively, UNDER inflation causes tires to blow out or come apart. The more load you put on your tire, the more pressure it should have to carry that load. For 2 up, especially with baggage added in, go with the sidewall max allowed. A little too much pressure is better than a little too little when safety rather than cushy ride is important.

Back