free website stats program Rear tire noise? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire noise?

Eagle

Hey all,
I have a 2001 Fatboy and just started noticing a noise. When I am going down the road and I hit a "dip" in the road it sounds like my rear tire rubs against my fender. My wife thinks she is fat and causing this but she is not fat:D Anyway it seems to be getting progressively worse. I guess shocks are the 1st place to start,maybe they can be adjusted? Shouldn't there be some sort of rubber stops underneath to keep the tire from hitting the fender though? Thanks

One other thing, there is a tail light wiring loom and mounting hardware under the fender sheet metal near the tire area, could be bent, wiring or metal bits improperly dressed outback...so you might want to inspect with flashlight and use your hand to feel for hardware.

I agree with NEWHD - I removed my back rest on my Fatboy and didn't notice that when I replaced the bolts (shorter) I'd bent that plate behind the indicator which houses the wiring? On hard corners and pot holes it was catching my Tire - check to see if your tire is showing any signs along the outside edge?

Sorry I'm just getting back to you all on this but I got it fixed. First I had the shocks stiffened and that seemed to help a little. Here was the problem...I had installed a power commander about a month earlier. The control unit was mounted on my computer under the seat. It evidently stuck up just a little too far and it pushed the plastic box that recesses into my fender thru. Not all the way but enough that the bottom edge of the box was rubbing the tire when I hit a bump. Just thankful it wasn't the top edge of the box. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back