Rear tire clearance

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by j.lawson, Jul 18, 2016.

1. j.lawson

j.lawson Member

Can anyone tell me about how much I can lower the rear of a 2008 ultra classic without the possibility of the tire rubbing? Tire is stock size.

2. dbmg

dbmg Guest

By lowering suspension usually 1+ or minus. Are you using lowering shocks or the lowering brackets?
    What are you trying to achieve by lowering rear and are you considering front?

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Street Glides have the same frame and fenders. They come 1" lower F&R than Electra's, with no clearance issues. Much more than 1" may cause problems.

4. j.lawson

j.lawson Member

Just a little easier for a short legged guy like me and yes will do the front also but not until winter. I thought just brackets.

5. dbmg

dbmg Guest

Most would ill advise on using brackets. The brackets change the position of shocks which may effect operation. Have you tried a logger type boot with a taller heel and sole or have cobbler look at your boots and resole and heel.

6. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

You may also check into after market seats, some on the market that get you a little closer to the ground.

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

8. Dan.1977P

Dan.1977P Active Member

I went through the same thoughts for the first year of owning a bigger bike. Never got around to it and now I'm completely comfortable. You may just need some miles, but, if you want to upgrade the seat anyway, look for a comfortable drop seat.