free website stats program Rear tire broken spokes | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire broken spokes

Marlene1975

I have a 2000 Road King Classic flhrci. When I bought it in November it had an awful wobble. I realized my spokes were all loose. I had them tightened and it has run awesome until 2 days ago I noticed the wobble again. Now I have 4 broken spokes. Can I just replace those spokes? I also have a new set of rims but the hub is a different size. Is there anyway I can change that hub out?? PLease help!!!

Wrenchin is correct that you need to respoke not just replace the broken ones. If the new rims are in better shape and you can get the correct spokes for a refit of the original hub and new rims why not go for the new rims. I take it that the new rims are of the same or better quality than the original rim. If you chose to reuse the original rim make sure there is no damage to the spoke holes as this can happen when spokes are run loose.

Something that may help you understand the two previous posts better. In order to replace a spoke, all spokes must be loosened way loose, so the hub and rim can be moved off center to allow the new spoke to go in the rim without bending. Also, some spokes may need to be removed to allow the new spoke to cross over or under them.
Did I make it muddier for you? :dknow

Breeze I think the point Wrenchin was making was that once the spokes become loose and some of them break the metal in the remaining spokes may have become fatigued. All the wobbling around and the added stress put on the surrounding spokes will cause them to be suspect to further breakage. My point with the original rim was that some of the spoke holes could have become distorted by the wobbling and broken spokes. Is that any muddier?

Breeze I think the point Wrenchin was making was that once the spokes become loose and some of them break the metal in the remaining spokes may have become fatigued. All the wobbling around and the added stress put on the surrounding spokes will cause them to be suspect to further breakage. My point with the original rim was that some of the spoke holes could have become distorted by the wobbling and broken spokes. Is that any muddier?

I got that, I deleted my last sentence regarding stress because I thought Bill covered it quite well. I was just trying to clarify that you can't just stick 1 new spoke in the wheel easily, it's a choreographed process.
My brain is fried from a little ride and visit to a car show. Hot day in GA.

I think you and Wrenchin were on the mark. Your explanation of the respokeing process was well put and gave the OP a good insight as to what was needed to take care of their problem. We all know it is hard to improve on Wrenchin's advice.

To add to the previous replies, I would go with "stainless" spokes rather than just chrome if It were me. Its the strength that counts, not the looks.

Hi the guy i bought my road king from (2000) told me the rim went back to the dealer four times the trued it and tietend it he finaly gave up and put a fat boy syle solid wheel on it the bags cover it any whay Russ

Back