free website stats program Rear tire advise | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear tire advise

BuffaloBill

Hello guys

Just had a Dunlop Elite 3 Series Rear tire installed on my 09 FLHTCU

The tire size was 180/60/-16 The OEM size calls for 180/65-16 Different tire tread design I hope the the different size in the rear will be OK I did notice that I can now plant my feet more comfortibly on the ground (29 inseam) at stops Seems to be about 3/8 difference in ride hieght

Any thoughts as the Elite 3 series does not come in the 180/65-16 size
Thanks
BuffaloBILL:33:

Hello guys

Just had a Dunlop Elite 3 Series Rear tire installed on my 09 FLHTCU

The tire size was 180/60/-16 The OEM size calls for 180/65-16 Different tire tread design I hope the the different size in the rear will be OK I did notice that I can now plant my feet more comfortibly on the ground (29 inseam) at stops Seems to be about 3/8 difference in ride hieght

Any thoughts as the Elite 3 series does not come in the 180/65-16 size
Thanks
BuffaloBILL:33:

You'll be fine. Nominally, the 60% profile height is 9mm less than the 65% profile (108mm vs. 117mm). So your guess'timate of 3/8" is pretty close! (The tire diameter is actually twice that).

Depending on what you have on the front, you may think about swapping that out if the tire tread pattern is very different. If they are close, may not be an issue. I personally like to stay with the same tire pattern front and rear.

Most important thing is keeping the right amount of pressure in the tires. Check them cold, and check them often!

TQ

Last edited:
Easyest way to figure speedo error is with a GPS. No calculating or guessing.That is the most accurate way that I know of
kemo

what effect will tire size have on speedo readings?

If you have an analog speedometer, you are within the margin of error on practical speed reading while underway. If you are using a digital speedometer, the accuracy of the reading would depend on whether the gauge was calibrated to begin with, and adjusted to the changing tire dimensions as the tire wears, gets low on air, runs hot due to load, etc. In other words, this small a change is probably insignificant in light of other variables. Now if you go to a different rim size and appreciably change the tire diameter, that would be different.

TQ

Easyest way to figure speedo error is with a GPS. No calculating or guessing.That is the most accurate way that I know of
kemo

I dont know on that one everyone i ride with that uses one agrees GPS says 5 mph slower than speedo not just on bike in cars to .. i have 3 different GPS and all say im going 5mph slower than speedo .. though that is a constant

Back