free website stats program Rear suspension | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear suspension

bikecurious

Hello,
Probably a stupid question to most, haha but I'm learning.
I just bought an 04 1200r but it's a bit tall for me.. I was wondering,
My friend has an Iron 883 that he took the 10'' shocks off of and replaced with struts.
He said he'd just give me his old shocks.
would his fit my bike?

Hobbit, have you used the lower front springs in your bikes?
I always found them to take away from the suspension too much, I know it throws the geometry off with out them, but I've found most of my customers would rather has a good responding front end, then good geometry, they just seam to adjust to it better?

It's been awhile since I have seen the triple trees and forks on a Sporty, can you not just lower the fork legs inside the trees?

Hello,
Probably a stupid question to most, haha but I'm learning.
I just bought an 04 1200r but it's a bit tall for me.. I was wondering,
My friend has an Iron 883 that he took the 10'' shocks off of and replaced with struts.
He said he'd just give me his old shocks.
would his fit my bike?

Good Deal, they should fit just fine, I have 10.5" ones on my Sporty but went with Progressive with fork springs, fluid change to 7.5W Belray oil in the forks and works fine. But I do have to adjust preload to max when riding two up. :s

thanks for your responses!
How would the geometry being thrown off affect me? would it effect just the sitting stance or the actual stabillity and integrity of the bike?

I used to have an 89' and I just lowered it in the rear and it messed up its handling quit a bit. I would lower the front some if I was to do it again.

If you go with the lower shocks, don't forget you will also need to do something with your jiffy stand. If you drop the rear 3" like you are talking about, your jiffy stand absolutely will not work. I changed shocks on my 08XL1200R and only dropped from 13.5" to 13" shocks(stock shocks were horrible). I went with the progressive 13" and the ride was awesome compared to stock, but even lowering the bike 1/2" made it difficult to raise the jiffy stand when putting the bike upright to ride it. The 1/2" change didn't seem to affect the handling, but the drastic change you are suggesting could potentially make the bike very dangerous to ride. Good luck and be careful.

Even if the handling isn't affected by the change, definitely have the head light properly aimed.

Just a thought.

Back