free website stats program Rear stabilizer | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear stabilizer

sddurbin

I've been reading all the improvements to the '09 touring models, mostly the strengthening of the frame, less welds, etc., all in an effort to cure the high speed wobble that has plagued the baggers for a while now, it seems. My question is--does anybody have any experience with the aftermarket stabilizers that are touted to cure this problem? I haven't really had a problem to date, but wanted input, either good or bad, on this product.

The 'BaggerBrace' seems like a good product, just not sure that I really need it.

Thanks--Scott in IL

Smitty has pretty well nailed it down for you. The 1984 frame was basically the same until 2008. A 34 year old design. Harley has modenized all of the frames but the touring and have now. The new frame is a total new design with with more rubber mount points. I have heard the speed wobble bit back in the shovel head days and most recently from mazazines that claim to be inpartial but are known to hate Harleys. Put it this way. If Harelys were so dangerous and bad why do they sell more than any one else in the US. Fossil

For those that have never had this problem or are just misinformed, I have had this problem with my 08 Ultra and a few people I know have had the same problem. I think it is more noticed with more weight on the bike. Just because "YOU" never felt it does not mean it doesn't exist. It feels like the back tire is flat. (rear steer) Do some web surfing, there is documented cases and lawsuits, motorcycle police killed, etc due to the way this bike handles. There is a few different stabilizer systems that are available to make this better. I bought the Alloy Art Touring XR Stabilizer and it has eliminated the condition and made my ride safer and more enjoyable. Alloy Art XR Touring Stablizer Note: I have 8000 miles on my 08 and Bike is properly maintained.

Last edited:
I have definitely felt this "phenomenon" when pushing my Road King’s limits. It wasn’t the road. It wasn’t my imagination. The bike felt like it had an uncontrollable wobble. The only way to stop it was to slow down by letting off the throttle. It scared me quite a bit. If you haven’t felt it you might think it was a story. I am here to tell you-it isn’t an urban legend.
Now for the rest of the story. I replaced the rear tire when the wear bars were almost even with the tread—haven’t felt it since. I experienced the wobble more and more as the original tire wore.

How wore is your rear tire?

Is this something only noticed at high speeds? Is this why only a small % has noticed the problem? Seems to me if it were a frame problem, all would experience it and HD would make changes to avoid law suits???? Educate me please.

I felt it at 75-80 mph in a right hand sweeper the first time. Later over 110 mph or so? on the highway. Since putting on a new rear tire, I haven't felt it again. I don't think it is totally (or at all) a frame problem.

Both instances I was riding without luggage or a passenger but was really putting the steam to her.

So it is likely a tire problem? Sounds like from the sounds of a couple posts, changing tires solved the problem. Just curious... I pick up my 09 Ultra tomorrow.

So it is likely a tire problem? Sounds like from the sounds of a couple posts, changing tires solved the problem. Just curious... I pick up my 09 Ultra tomorrow.

That is only my opinion, I am sure others would disagree with my assessment. As Smitty901 says, "bikes that are modified, bad roads, ect...." There are a lot of factors involved, but you have to ask yourself, "Why did the Motor Factory improve the frame?" Was it just a cost effective move or something else.
I don't think my wife will ever feel the wobble on her or my bike!

I feel it on mine to .. and misinformed um no .. Lack of maintance well at 2500 miles i sure hope i havent missed anything and if theres a problem it came from harley that way as i felt the problem with less than 500 miles .. certain roads do make it worse but even a nice smooth road with a good corner not trying to do 90 thought it but can feel it squirm as low as 55.... low tire pressure nope sorry try again

Just because some dont have it dont mean it dont exist

I feel it on mine to .. and misinformed um no .. Lack of maintance well at 2500 miles i sure hope i havent missed anything and if theres a problem it came from harley that way as i felt the problem with less than 500 miles .. certain roads do make it worse but even a nice smooth road with a good corner not trying to do 90 thought it but can feel it squirm as low as 55.... low tire pressure nope sorry try again

Just because some dont have it dont mean it dont exist

It's good that others have noticed this as I know it's not in my head and my bike is maintained properly. And, the stabilizer I installed did make it better. Lets get the real reason why they redesigned the frame on the 2009 Touring bikes.

Back