free website stats program Rear sprockets ???????? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear sprockets ????????

ironmark

I heard that the HD put a bigger rear sprocket on the 09 models then they put on the 07-08 models . Is this because they put a bigger tire on the 09 models or was it to improve low end tourqe ??? Will the bigger sprocket fit the 07-08 models without a belt change ? What I heard was that the 07-08 models lacked power @ take off & the MOCO tried to correct the problem with a bigger rear sprocket . Is the info I am getting correct ?

You would put a smaller spocket on for more lowend. Smaller sprocket would be like putting a higher numericaly rear gear in a car(from a 3.55 to a 4.10). Don't know about the new bicks though.

You are wrong with putting a smaller rear sprocket on for more low end. Put a small sprocket on the front or a larger rear for power. For speed or to reduce RPM you use a small rear or a large front.

The change was in the rear sprocket on the 09 models. The sprocket is larger (more cogs) only by one or two giving it more bottom end from a standing start which is where the previous 96's showed a deficiency.

So if I wanted to change the sprocket would I have to change the belt ? I am going to need a new rear tire soon & I thought it would be a good time to do the change & being able to use the same belt would make it a easy upgrade .

yes you would need to change the belt. Check the charts and see what will fit. I had changed the sprockets on my 99 RK and needed to go from a 139 tooth belt to a 135.

The way the sproket mounts to the hub was changed in '09 as well. On the '07-'08 models the sproket was one peice, the compensator bowl was another piece and it mounted to the hub. In '09 the compensator bowl os part of the hub. That doesn't mean the sprocket won't fit, but I would recommend asking someone who knows specifically.

Lew, 07 was the one piece, in 08 the IDS was a factory installed pulley and carried over to the 09 bikes.

From what I understand the 08 is 36 teeth , in 09 it went to 38 teeth but I am not sure if this info is correct . If the 09 sprocket does,nt work on the 07-08 can I get a sprocket designed for the 07-08 that would be a little bigger ? Also if the spocket is just 2 teeth larger would there still be a need to change the belt or would you have to use the belt from the 09 ?

I think you have the numbers incorrect. It's more like 70 and the softail is 65. We're talking about the rear sprocket.

Looks like Lew nailed it again :D

Back