free website stats program rear sprocket | Harley Davidson Forums

rear sprocket

I have a 09 fxdc and want more highway speed.
am told to change to a 60some toothed sprocket in place of the stock 70.
sounds good to me, but do i need to change the belt as well?. one guy told me id get around 20mph more top end, since i travel looong distances that sounds pretty nice.
thanks in advance

What speed are travaling at and what RPMs are you turning?
You want to keep the engine in the right RPM range and not lug it.
You shouldn't need to change the sprocket with the 6-speed.
Mine runs 3000-RPM at 80-MPH. I think you need to keep the RPMs over 2500 at any cruise speed or your lugging it.

i live where one can easily drive as fast as you dare for most of a day. like its a seven hour trip to the next destination town and very little in between. if i go to argentina there are at least lots of twisties and curvies but not much else. if i go straight north there is nuthin, desert and dirt.
my bike pretty much settles out at 170 kph which is around 100 i think. about 4k on the tach. i come a lot closer to over reving than i do to lugging the beast. if i could get 125 or 130 mph id be a lot happier. say 240 kph max for open highway with average at 200-210.
i am thinking of doing a trip to peru/bolivia and its way far with lots of striaght desert road in between. dont want to die of boredom on the way.

WOW! 125-130 MPH. Now thats cruisin.
If you do go with a different sprocket and its more than 2 teeth than you will need a different length belt.
You are going to loose power at the wheel also. I don't know if a stock engine has enough to run at that speed.
Maybe you will here more from the others on the forum.

Back