free website stats program Rear sprocket life | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear sprocket life

Chrome wear by itself is no big deal, but once you start seeing the copper (it is finish to evenly apply the chrome during the electroplating process) it probably is a good idea to replace it. Chrome plating chards are like small razor blades and tear up the belt running on them, sprocket is about $160 and while you are going to have the belt off, why not do it just for your piece of mind. JMO...I would not want to revisit the service after going through all the trouble getting the belt off.

I know it will get expensive but when it's time I will replace the front and rear pulleys and the belt at the same time. As an old timer on my chain driven bikes I would never change the chain or sproket individually always the whole package. That being said I put over 140,000mi on my '94 FLSTC before changing. The '05 FLTRI has over 55,000mi and looks like new.

Just a note, the chromium process is expensive, and chrome products lately seem to not hold up as well as the old days...could be a cost cutting process to have "thinner" chrome finish. JMO

Back