free website stats program Rear Sprocket change for Heavy Trikes.? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Sprocket change for Heavy Trikes.?

stubbs34

Just a thought. To get more Torq or speed thru the gears; why not just change the Rear sprocket to a smaller (by 2) teeth?? The older Trikes had them and they were changed to a bigger sprocket later. I have a 2010 and I know it has a bigger by 2 teeth sprocket and I have been complaining about the effort of the 103 engine climbing up to running speed. I know a CAM will help but why not just change the rear sprocket.? Any thoughts on this, people.?

Just a thought. To get more Torq or speed thru the gears; why not just change the Rear sprocket to a smaller (by 2) teeth?? The older Trikes had them and they were changed to a bigger sprocket later. I have a 2010 and I know it has a bigger by 2 teeth sprocket and I have been complaining about the effort of the 103 engine climbing up to running speed. I know a CAM will help but why not just change the rear sprocket.? Any thoughts on this, people.?

You have it backwards. The rear sprocket has to be increased and the front pulley sprocket decreased to make the final drive ratio add more torque.

In your case if you want more torque you would need to replace the front sprocket to the 30 tooth from the 32 tooth.

Another option is you can buy the Evolution Industries primary chain drive kit that changes the clutch hub sprocket from the 46 tooth to the 49 tooth and chain assembly. Cost wise it might be slightly more if you have a shop do the front drive belt pulley swap

The 103 engine is not a good power plant for a trike if you are over 165lbs or ride 2 up. Its just doesnt have the umph it needs to make a trike run like a 2 wheel bike. Engine work to a 103 will net you some gains, but it will hit a wall for the costs associated with trying to make a 103 haul the mail..... I know, thats why I have a big bore engine in my trike now

I am finding this out since buying the Trike. I am not a go fast person anymore, just a country cruiser. What I CAN afford is only a Stage 1 setup (fuelie,ac,pipes) with a cam and hope the 103 stays together and gives us a no troubled years to come ride. I was hoping that I didn't have to even go with a different Cam and just the Stage 1 eliminating the heat that is bad for the values etc.. as for the sprocket idea, too much bs work for that idea. Sometimes I wonder if I should of went with a 1800 Goldwing trike,(liguid cooled).. hmmm.

Back