free website stats program Rear sprocket bolts came out during ride | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear sprocket bolts came out during ride

Harleymom18

My son had just finished a 260 mile ride on the freeway. He was cruising down a city street at about 30mph when he felt the bike jerk. He was able to get it off the road before he lost momentum and noticed a bolt under the bike and miscellaneous metal shavings. He saw all the bolt heads for the sprocket were missing and the bolt posts were broken off in the wheel at various depths. Two scenarios. About 40 miles before this happened he took a corner too hot and ran up over a curb. He ended up in a sandy patch and although the bike whipped around some he never dropped it. Could hitting the curb have jarred the bolts loose and then they worked their way out until they came out during the reminder of the trip? Other scenario. He had a rear tire replaced about 600 miles ago, including this trip. He called the HD dealership that did the service and they told him they did not touch the sprocket or bolts when they change a tire. Is there something they could have done to cause the bolts to begin to get loose?

What kind of bike? etc. Have seen this issue 3 or 4 times in the last 5 yrs or so. One of those times I know for sure was after a particulary tough bit of road, deep potholes and all. Dealer is correct in that typicaly there is no reason to touch the sprocket bolts on most wheels to do simple tire change.

He has a 2003 Dyna Wide Glide, with a twin cam 88. I'm just wondering if it would be worth reporting it to the insurance company. It would need to be a direct cause and effect, not sure if this qualifies.

Hi Webbtron, I was actually behind him coming around the curve when it happened. Believe me, I had a great view, one I won't soon forget!

Good that the only damage was to the bike and hopefully not too serious. A couple years ago I had a customer that had this happen to him several times before coming to me, What we did at his request was to cross drill the heads of all the sprocket bolts and lace them with safety wire, problem solved permanently. Have done this to one other bike since then, some people find the sight of the safety wire objectionable, personally I thinnk it looks pretty cool.

Back