free website stats program rear speakers buzzing | Harley Davidson Forums

rear speakers buzzing

kyhdman

got a friend with a 02 ultra classic he has got a buzzing or hummin in rear speakers only.changed them out with another set does the same thing.it does this with just the ignition switch on and no motor running so it not picking up motor noise. look thru earlier threads and didnt find anything exactly like this problem but im wondering if it may be bad radio. any thoughts greatly appreciated, Thanks kyhdman

got a friend with a 02 ultra classic he has got a buzzing or hummin in rear speakers only.changed them out with another set does the same thing.it does this with just the ignition switch on and no motor running so it not picking up motor noise. look thru earlier threads and didnt find anything exactly like this problem but im wondering if it may be bad radio. any thoughts greatly appreciated, Thanks kyhdman

Could be. Anything done to the bike just before this problem was noticed?

You might want to make sure that you are not getting any bleed through the speaker from some other wire carrying a current. Do you get any noise with the radio off or with the sound turned off? Check the speaker wires back towards the radio from the speakers and see if you find anywhere the insulation is broken.

Then if you have pretty much decided it is the radio, I suggest yanking it out of the dash and sending it to Radio Sound along with $200. They will send a radio back reconditioned to "good as new". And it is fast.

RadioSound - Customer Service

TQ

Your problem is that he speaker wires running from the radio to the rear speakers are adjacent to a wire carrying power. There are a few ways to fix this: 1) Reroute the speaker wires away from any wires that carry power 2) Install shielded cables (which is almost out of the question).

The problem is that when audio carrying wires run adjacent for any length the inductance by the power wire bleeds into the lower voltage audio wires thus creating this humm or buzz you are hearing. Since HD doesn't install shielded (bare aluminum wire and foil) wire your only choice is to try and move the speaker wires as far away as possible from any other wires. If the speaker wires had a ground wire inside the jacket you could ground just one end and this would also eliminate any buzzing. I hope this helps you out some. If not get back with me and I'll see what I can come up with.

Back