free website stats program Rear Side Light problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Side Light problem

pportmd

One of my rear side lights stays out, unless I use the turn signal, then it works fine. I switched bulbs with the other side and the bulb works fine on the good side, so it's a wiring or switch problem, right?

It sounds like it could be either a ground problem at the light or a bad connection in the socket itself. Have you looked at the contacts where the bulb make connection?

It sounds like it could be either a ground problem at the light or a bad connection in the socket itself. Have you looked at the contacts where the bulb make connection?

The light blinks on-off consistently when I press on the turn signal switch, so there seems to be a good ground and contact at the socket. However, it does not go on when I turn the ignition key to the position where all running lights go on. I thought the bulb was a two-filament bulb with one broken, but that wasn't the case. Are there separate wires from the ignition and the turn signal switch to the socket or is there a module in the handlebar controlling the juice to the socket in different settings?

The bike has 1,200 miles. I did run through wet weather recently.

Thanks,
Ricardo

The rear lights are single filaments and that is where there may be a problem. They should not be on with the ignition. Is the other side lit then you turn on the ignition? If it is you may have the wrong bulb in it. There should be one contact on the base unlike the fronts that have two.

Also do you have any load equalizers in the system?

If this problem is on brand new bike with 1200 miles, I'm sure the HD shop would fix that problem for free. Just a thought

The rear lights are single filaments and that is where there may be a problem. They should not be on with the ignition. Is the other side lit then you turn on the ignition? If it is you may have the wrong bulb in it. There should be one contact on the base unlike the fronts that have two.

Also do you have any load equalizers in the system?

Sorry for the delay in responding, the thread got moved around and I couldn't find it.

I am in New Orleans but keep the bike at my house in Canyon Lake, Tx and will be there 1st weekend in October to deal with the problem. As I recall, turning the ignition switch on juices up all lights in the bike. In the rear, the two turn lights have red plastic covers and stay on always. Breaking makes them brighter red, and turning makes them blink.

I have seen bikes with the rear lights covered with orange plastic instead, and perhaps in that set-up they do not come on when the ignition is turned on?

BTW, thanks for all the feedback, it's being very useful, and yes I plan on taking it to the dealer, but also want to learn how these things are wired for future reference.

Ricardo

I would take a stab here and say that with the red lenses in the rear directionals, it has a module in the bike or they would be amber. They would also only be lit with the ignition with the module too otherwise they only function (light) with the directionals on the back and not with the ignition turned on..

Probably find it under the seat near where the wires pass through the rear fender into the conduit for the tail lights, it's a small box similar to a box of smokes. Could look loke either one of these depending on the brand.

Plug-in-Illuminators-photo.jpg

Or

4710-metric.jpg

Last edited:
Back