free website stats program Rear shocks | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear shocks

Manualshift

Account Removed
Hi everyone,

as I get more and more familiar with my new Forty-Eight I have to say that the rigidity of the rear shocks seems an unnecessary "punishment" for the rider ...

The bike is just as hard as a wooden bench and everything I hit with the rear wheel—yes even an ant bone—go straight into my spine.

I am sure others here have experienced the same.
What options do I have to soften the riding experience a little bit?
I am open to replace the shocks if needed, but maybe there are other quick and more economical solutions I could look into?

Thanks!

I think the 48 has short shocks, you could try longer shocks, like off a 1200 Custom. Measure your shock eye to eye distance, then search ebay for different length Sportster shocks. You don't have to buy ebay, just easy to compare there.

Harley sells a spanner for about $12.00 to adjust them. If they are still to stiff I like Progressive suspension.

How much do you weigh? For those of us around 150 lbs. those ant bones can be rough. Since I was relaxing the springs, I was able to adjust the shocks without the $12 spanner.

I thought I'd post an update on this, I hope someone else facing a similar problem will find it helpful.
Since I started this thread I did three things:

1. Tried to adjust the stock shocks to the softest position. The effects were frankly unnoticeable.
2. Replaced the stock 11" shocks with 12.5" Progressive 444 series. Heaven! The extra 1.5" of travel and the superior technology allows for a considerably better riding experience.
3. Replaced the hard-as-a-wood-bench stock seat with a Biltwell Sporty. Also made all the difference in the world!

My back is in better shape. And so is my (EDIT)! :)

Moderator Note: Please read our rules on language

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides the folks on this forum the other thing I like is we don't typically have these type of posts to put up with. Just not necessary.
WAP.gif

Besides the folks on this forum the other thing I like is we don't typically have these type of posts to put up with. Just not necessary.
WAP.gif

I am very sorry you were exposed to that form of childish expression. The moderators here try our best to police the site and get rid of those users that are not here to contribute anything positive.

This user has been removed at his request, but unfortunately not before he posted that dribble. Again, my apologies.

Regards.

Cheers,

TQ

Back