free website stats program Rear shock replacement. | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear shock replacement.

Okay. Good to know. Once they come off I will reconnect with you. I still don't know if TQ received my PM with my address or not. I sure hope so. Yea, it's a drag living up North where we put our bikes away for the winter. :(

Got it! Will probably send out tomo since the weather is supposed to turn bad (just in time for the Lone Star Rally!!! :( Lone Star Rally)

Cheers,

TQ

Hartoo,
With only one adjustment on the left side, how it the right side adjusted? Is the Left side connected in some way to the right side like the OEM air adjustment.

The right is not adjustable.I have not explored the theory of their function.All I know is that they are far superior to the air shocks in ride quality.

I came home from work tonight and there on my doorstep were the shocks that TQ said he would mail to me. They are in excellent shape! The care that he took in wrapping them and shipping them was first rate! There isn't as mark on them and like he said, they are like new. HDDon, Bubbie & Jack, you guys were spot on, he is truly a generous guy. My appreciation is so great to this forum, and especially to TQ, that I am going to be a contributor to this great forum! But first I have to PM TQ and figure out exactly how much I owe him. I want to get that in the mail right away! Again, many thanks!!

You might want to change out the oil in them just to ensure it is in top shape, but should be good as is if not.

I changed out the oil in the air shocks on my '03 Ultra. Used the "invert and let drain" method to get out some of the oil followed with the use of a mityvac (see pix below) to get the rest of the oil out (still inverted). I did get a hose barb fitting that threaded into the port on the shocks to make it easier to get a good seal on the mityvac's hose.

Key is to collect and measure all the oil coming out of each shock. Should be around 11 oz. (The lower profile shocks may be around 10 oz.).

On refill, just right the shocks and fill the cup with clean oil. If you can find a larger cup that will fit the mityvac that might make it possible to refill in one step. I had to refill the cup a few times.

Some guys are using 10 wt or higher to get a firmer ride with not as much air pressure required on the shocks. I think HD Type E is a 5 wt oil. Not sure what their other "racing" wts are.

Another method is to put the shocks back on the bike one at a time and used the weight of the bike to help "cycle" the shocks. With a longer bit of hose and a funnel, compress, pour in some oil, then extend the shocks so that all the oil gets in the shock. Have to repeat the process a few times.

There may be some easier ways to refill the shocks especially if you have a press handy. I didn't. But here is a neat DIY I saw on another Harley forum:

Changing oil in your air shocks

Cheers,

TQ

Attachments

• Mityvac.JPG
    Mityvac.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 10
TQ you exemplify what this forum is all about. Bikers helping bikers. Thanks for all that you do for everyone here.

I changed out the oil in the air shocks on my '03 Ultra. Used the "invert and let drain" method to get out some of the oil followed with the use of a mityvac (see pix below) to get the rest of the oil out (still inverted). I did get a hose barb fitting that threaded into the port on the shocks to make it easier to get a good seal on the mityvac's hose.

Key is to collect and measure all the oil coming out of each shock. Should be around 11 oz. (The lower profile shocks may be around 10 oz.).

On refill, just right the shocks and fill the cup with clean oil. If you can find a larger cup that will fit the mityvac that might make it possible to refill in one step. I had to refill the cup a few times.

Some guys are using 10 wt or higher to get a firmer ride with not as much air pressure required on the shocks. I think HD Type E is a 5 wt oil. Not sure what their other "racing" wts are.

Another method is to put the shocks back on the bike one at a time and used the weight of the bike to help "cycle" the shocks. With a longer bit of hose and a funnel, compress, pour in some oil, then extend the shocks so that all the oil gets in the shock. Have to repeat the process a few times.

There may be some easier ways to refill the shocks especially if you have a press handy. I didn't. But here is a neat DIY I saw on another Harley forum:

Changing oil in your air shocks

Cheers,

TQ
Thanks for posting this. I had no idea on how to go about removing the old oil or which weight to use for that matter.
TQ you exemplify what this forum is all about. Bikers helping bikers. Thanks for all that you do for everyone here.
That's for sure! :s

I use 7W; huge difference between 7W and 10W. See below for a shade tree, cave man shock press; can be used to push oil out and pull oil in. I have a MytiVac and prefer it for pushing the new oil in TQ style.:s

BTW, I don't drink Miller Lite; poor excuse for a beer. I prefer Shiner Bach but have to keep some of the Miller swill around for my brother.:cry

Attachments

• caveman shock press.jpg
    caveman shock press.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 30
Last edited by a moderator:
What a slick setup on the press. Need to put this in the home built tool section.

Back