free website stats program Rear shock replacement. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear shock replacement.

Forgot to mention that the shocks were the original ones on this '12 Ultra, and had 4,340 miles on them back in August when I changed them out. You might want to change out the oil in them just to ensure it is in top shape, but should be good as is if not.

Let me know if you want them ASAP.

Cheers,

TQ
Wow TQ, that is generous of you. I will take them in a heartbeat. My only concern is/was about the rubber boots. Re they torn? That is the reason why I am looking to replace the OEM's in the first place. I would have no problem sending you shipping money in advance or however you want to work it out. So sorry for my delayed response.
WAP.gif

Wow TQ, that is generous of you. I will take them in a heartbeat. My only concern is/was about the rubber boots. Re they torn? That is the reason why I am looking to replace the OEM's in the first place. I would have no problem sending you shipping money in advance or however you want to work it out. So sorry for my delayed response.
WAP.gif

The ones I took off my bike are in like new condition. I suggested changing out the oil in them only to ensure that the oil is clean and fresh. Over time, oil can break down just from any heat/cold cycles it may have gone through. But I think these shocks are good to go and would not have changed them (or the oil in them) if I was not lowering the bike. When I took these off my bike, I installed the plugs that came on my shorter shocks in them. The shocks I removed did not lose any oil during that change out.

I am not sure what the standard length is for the '03 Ultra. I used to have one, but don't remember that. But if you are not vertically challenged like me, then the length is probably not a big deal anyway.

If you want them, I will send them to you by UPS, Fedex or USPS ground depending on which is cheaper. Once I have shipped them and know how much, I will let you know.

Cheers,

TQ

Last edited:
The ones I took off my bike are in like new condition. I suggested changing out the oil in them only to ensure that the oil is clean and fresh. Over time, oil can break down just from any heat/cold cycles it may have gone through. But I think these shocks are good to go and would not have changed them (or the oil in them) if I was not lowering the bike. When I took these off my bike, I installed the plugs that came on my shorter shocks in them. The shocks I removed did not lose any oil during that change out.

I am not sure what the standard length is for the '03 Ultra. I used to have one, but don't remember that. But if you are not vertically challenged like me, then the length is probably not a big deal anyway.

If you want them, I will send them to you by UPS, Fedex or USPS ground depending on which is cheaper. Once I have shipped them and know how much, I will let you know.

Cheers,

TQ
Sounds great TQ. Like I said, my main concern was/is the dry rotting of the boots. I can give you my shipping address. How do we do that? Via PM? Find out the least expensive way to ship them ( thanks!) and I'll square away with you promptly.
Jim
WAP.gif

Sounds great TQ. Like I said, my main concern was/is the dry rotting of the boots. I can give you my shipping address. How do we do that? Via PM? Find out the least expensive way to ship them ( thanks!) and I'll square away with you promptly.
Jim
WAP.gif

Jim,

OK. PM me with where you want the shocks sent. They are packed in the shipping boxes that the replacements I put on the my bike came in, so should be good to ship out the ones you want.

Cheers,

TQ

Actually, the OEM air shocks are not that bad. Find a set, drain the oil and replace with 7W and pre-load as required for one or two up riding. Unless you are dragging floor boards at 80mph in a long sweeper, no need for upgrading shocks. Addtionally, once you get up past $600 for a pair there are many better options than anything from the MoCo.:s

I agree dolt, I never found my OEM shocks to be all that bad.

I have a pair of the OEM standard length air shocks (54565-97) that came off my '12 Ultra when I lowered front and back. I am not sure of the length, but I think they are 13" (went and measured and that is what they are). You can have them if you pay the shipping. Send me a PM if interested.

Cheers,

TQ
Thanks for those pictures TQuentin. I just now noticed them. The boots look to be just fine. Thanks for the closeup! ;-) I have sent you a private message. I sure hope that you received it okay. I want to sincerely thank you for that most generous offer!

No direct dealings with Legend but as I recall having done some research on them before. I came away from my research that there were more negatives than positives. As Dolt pointed out, there are other players for that price. Progressive being one.

You can also replace the boots on your shocks. I know the Moco does not offer them but I believe NAPA or someone else does. I replaced mine on my 03. I do some digging see what I bought and report back.

This is what I used. While not EXACTLY like oem. They do the job just fine.

Amazon.com: Monroe SA1997 Shock-Mate Shock Absorber Boot Kit: Automotive

Bodeen, in all reality the Shock-Mate Shock absorber Boot Kit is probably all I really needed but TQ's offer for his old shocks ( with very little miles on them) was hard to refuse. They have got to be better than my OEM shocks which have 45K on them. And if his rubber boots fail I'll simply order the aforementioned kit that you recommended. That kit is very reasonable in price too! Thanks!

Harley Rear Shocks: Brakes Suspension | eBay
Check E bay also
The rubber boot kit Bodeen mentioned is made by Monroe a quality product I have used in the auto centers for years, you may grab a part number and check Rock Auto for better pricing JMO

RockAuto Parts Catalog[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=8uemcn97vvckb6d6oh5ac4oqa1

Thanks Jack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bodeen, in all reality the Shock-Mate Shock absorber Boot Kit is probably all I really needed but TQ's offer for his old shocks ( with very little miles on them) was hard to refuse. They have got to be better than my OEM shocks which have 45K on them. And if his rubber boots fail I'll simply order the aforementioned kit that you recommended. That kit is very reasonable in price too! Thanks!

Actually, your OEM shocks with an oil change and new boots will operate better than the later shocks if you don't change the oil. I will pay shipping for your old shocks; looking for a set to experiment with on my '02 FLHT. Please measure your OEM shocks to be sure they are 13" eye to eye.:s

Actually, your OEM shocks with an oil change and new boots will operate better than the later shocks if you don't change the oil. I will pay shipping for your old shocks; looking for a set to experiment with on my '02 FLHT. Please measure your OEM shocks to be sure they are 13" eye to eye.:s

Dolt, I have sent a PM to TQ giving him my address. Hopefully I did that correctly. His shocks form the pictures that he sent me look like they are in great shape. Here's the thing, I have winterized my bike and put it away for the winter. I wont be taking the shocks off until the Spring and that is when I will put his shocks on my bike. Hopefully everything will work out just fine. So if you will be patient with me, let me see how it all works out before I part with my OEM shocks.

Dolt, I have sent a PM to TQ giving him my address. Hopefully I did that correctly. His shocks form the pictures that he sent me look like they are in great shape. Here's the thing, I have winterized my bike and put it away for the winter. I wont be taking the shocks off until the Spring and that is when I will put his shocks on my bike. Hopefully everything will work out just fine. So if you will be patient with me, let me see how it all works out before I part with my OEM shocks.

No worries. I will continue looking for a cheap set but it's for experimenting so there is no rush. Anyway, I am in the process of developing a build plan to beef up my 95" Deuce and have a leaking main drive gear seal on my '02 FLHT, so the shock experiment is at the bottom of the list.

South Texas, so no "winterizing" here.:D

No worries. I will continue looking for a cheap set but it's for experimenting so there is no rush. Anyway, I am in the process of developing a build plan to beef up my 95" Deuce and have a leaking main drive gear seal on my '02 FLHT, so the shock experiment is at the bottom of the list.

South Texas, so no "winterizing" here.:D

Okay. Good to know. Once they come off I will reconnect with you. I still don't know if TQ received my PM with my address or not. I sure hope so. Yea, it's a drag living up North where we put our bikes away for the winter. :(

yeah,but it's been 70 all week up North,best riding of the year.Can't wait to get out again today.I know some folks have certain days they just store their bike on,I have been fortune enough to have an attached garage so I don't drop it off anywhere.This is supposed to be a warm winter,as long as there's no salt,and above freezing,cruise on!

Back