free website stats program Rear shock question | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear shock question

glider

Veteran Member
Switching the shocks for the taller ones will raise the seat height about 1/2 of the difference in the shock length.(about 1 inch)

If you have a lift, it would make it easier but you can do 1 at a time and for safety block up the frame before starting.

I just took my 11 1/2" shocks off last week and put my stock 12 1/2" back on. The height was as Glider said above, but the ride improved noticeably, especially two up. Also, low speed handling (steering) is better because of the decreased fork angle.
Removing the shocks is only two bolts each,easy if you have a jack to put under the frame. Take the shocks to a shop to have the springs changed, they are under a lot of pressure. Your shocks also have about 5 different "preload" positions for the springs, easy to adjust at home.

I have a fat Bob. I would love to get a little more ground clearence. But I do love the look of the chrome cover on the shock. What options do I have with a taller shock that looks like stock?

Morning, I'm new around here and been reading with interest, and have a question of my own. I just bought my first big twin Harley. It's a beauty of a 98 Dyna Convertible. The fella who sold it to me was short and had a set of 11 inch rear springs installed. When I bought the bike, he gave me the 13 inch springs that were origional equipment. I'm trying to figure out what switching back will do......will the seat be higher from the ground?? Or just increase the distance between the seat and the controls???? If this sounds dumb, I confess....wish I was a better at fixin' stuff. Shoulda took auto shop instead of all that P.E. With this admission out of the way.....Is changing them something I could do without getting intio trouble?? Looks like all I'd need to do is unscrew two bolts???? Thanks for the help.

If you are changing the springs it is a bit more than just changing the shock. Be careful as the spring is under some pressure and the new springs are a bit taller you will need to compress them:shttp://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-shock-coil-spring-compressor Amazon.com: Motorcycle shock coil spring compressor tool kit T27: Automotive

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a fat Bob. I would love to get a little more ground clearence. But I do love the look of the chrome cover on the shock. What options do I have with a taller shock that looks like stock?

I just put the Progressive Suspension 440 shocks on my Street Bob. They look very similar to stock (and better in my opinion). They are very superior to the HD shocks and can be adjusted quickly without any tools.

Progressive Suspension 440

I ended up going with the 12.5" shocks as they are slightly longer than the stock 12".
Super easy and no special tools required to do the install.

Last edited:
Back