free website stats program rear shock Air pressure ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear shock Air pressure ?

thanks guys I have an owners manual but was wanting to see what was working for others with me 225 lbs and my wife (105 lbs) and quick detach tour pack I am having a slow speed wobble running 25lbs of air in the shocks, just trying to find out why thanks again.

06rdking, when troubleshooting a low speed wobble, or any handling problem, do one thing at a time, and if it does not work or change, return it back and go in another direction. A little background is in order and no cost inspection is in order before zero-ing in on the root cause.

1.) Did this problem just start after a recent service or mod was done?
2.) Did you check simple things like tire pressure, front and rear...inspect the tires for cupping or unusual wear?
3.) Did you load the bike with minimum weight up high in the tourpack (or even remove it) then try riding with passenger and the rest of the load mounted low to see if wobble persists?
4.) Check for loading on the front steering...fall away, cable routing and free movement lock to lock.

Once you have checked these line items can we assist in solving the issue, the rear shock pressure just changes the attitude of the bike slightly, but if it did not change the wobble significantly return it back to what it was before...25 lbs sounds like it is fine and in range.

Last edited:
06rdking, when troubleshooting a low speed wobble, or any handling problem, do one thing at a time, and if it does not work or change, return it back and go in another direction. A little background is in order and no cost inspection is in order before zero-ing in on the root cause.

1.) Did this problem just start after a recent service or mod was done?
2.) Did you check simple things like tire pressure, front and rear...inspect the tires for cupping or unusual wear?
3.) Did you load the bike with minimum weight up high in the tourpack (or even remove it) then try riding with passenger and the rest of the load mounted low to see if wobble persists?
4.) Check for loading on the front steering...fall away, cable routing and free movement lock to lock.

Once you have checked these line items can we assist in solving the issue, the rear shock pressure just changes the attitude of the bike slightly, but if it did not change the wobble significantly return it back to what it was before...25 lbs sounds like it is fine and in range.

+1 on NewHD74Fan's advice. A "wobble" is not something to take lightly and what happens at low speed could suddenly become a high speed problem. My first guess is your rear tire is low in pressure for the fully load weight or you may be overweight for the MC. I am 230lbs and my wife is 120lbs, so with full riding gear on we are about at the limit of my 2007 UC, riding 2 up.

As for shock pressure, I tend to not adjust mine off of 12 psi. but I check it each time I check the tire pressure.

running 20 in my 07 flhx. i find better handling solo with pressure between 15 and 20.... but check your manual as later years have different pressures

Yes shock upgrade was done either 09-10 capable of more psi, I think 30 or 35 max on your yr , and streetglides have a raiting all ther own even higher psi

I ride a 99 Electra Glide and like others have said check your owners manual because different years vary a lot.

I keep my rears at 9-10 and fronts at 6-7, I increase each about about 2 lbs when my wife rides, but she only weights about 105 lbs:bigsmiley16:. I like the handling of a stiffer suspension.

Like others posted the HD air pump works great, it doesn't take much pressure to blow out an air line. I check my pressures about every 2 weeks or so, depending on how much riding I do.

Another thing that really increases your handling is tire pressure. My book calls for 36 psi for front & back, after I lose 3-4 psi I can start felling the difference especially in the corners.

running 20 in my 07 flhx. i find better handling solo with pressure between 15 and 20.... but check your manual as later years have different pressures

Same here on an '08 StreetGlide (FLHX) With 48,000+ miles. Found 20 lbs is just right. By the way, just replaced the left shock which had a small leak. Keep an eye on them and maybe even pull the boot down now and than to check for seepage. Have a theory the left goes first because when on the stand most of the weight is distributed to the left side? Just a thought.

Check your Owner's Manual. My '03 UC calls for 25-30psi for two up (35 max.). So the years/models have different specs. When riding solo, I let all the air out of the shocks. Probably could go with about 10 psi for solo, but don't.

TQ

TQuentin1 is right on 'different models, different specs. don't blow out your shocks with too much air pressure.

Back