rear shock Air pressure ?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 06rdking, Nov 27, 2010.

1. 06rdking

06rdking Banned

what kind of air pressure are you guys useing when going 2up , loaded for the week with a tourpak? do you run that pressure all the time or change it accordingly?

2. FIREDOG239

FIREDOG239 Active Member

I usually run 40 to 45 psi with me, wife and luggage on bike. Just depends on total weight.

3. tubguy

tubguy Active Member

I run mine around 50 lbs and drop it a bit when on my own.

4. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Check your Owner's Manual. My '03 UC calls for 25-30psi for two up (35 max.). So the years/models have different specs. When riding solo, I let all the air out of the shocks. Probably could go with about 10 psi for solo, but don't.

TQ

5. Jick Scott

Jick Scott Member

I ride 10 when solo and 40 to 45 with wife and/or tour pak.
    Try to follow owner's manual when all the weight is known, but the main thing is the 40 lbs. in the rear tire.

6. lorne

lorne Senior Member

Very good information. just bought a 05 RKP, so something i will be double checking for sure. the original owner is a lot larger than me.

7. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

I run 8lbs when solo , the stiffer ride seems to improve the handling in the curves IMO , riding 2 up with tour luggage I run around 25lbs and everything feels good . I like to keep a little air in the shocks at all times it just seems that 2 or 3 lbs of air minimum would be better for the shocks then no air at all IMO . You don't need allot of air in the shocks when solo because the riders weight is more centered on the bike so the load is more evenly distributed . I have the touring suspension air pump HD part #54630-03A ($49.95) and it is a great investment IMO , I carry it on the bike all the time so I can make a adjustment whenever needed .

8. johnkarlfl

johnkarlfl Active Member

I allways leave it at 20 lbs.
    it seems more stabile.

9. 06rdking

06rdking Banned

thanks guys I have an owners manual but was wanting to see what was working for others. with me 225 lbs and my wife(105 lbs) and quick detach tour pack I am having a slow speed wobble. running 25lbs of air in the shocks, just trying to find out why. thanks agian.

10. tlyoungb

tlyoungb Junior Member

How did you check the pressure?