free website stats program Rear Shock Adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Shock Adjustment

I am wondering about the adjustment on the rear shocks. I bought my Heritage from a guy that weighed at least 250. I am about 175. All I can find is how to adjust the shocks not anything on why. I have a motocross background where shock adjustment is critical based on rider weight and handling. All this to ask, since they are adjustable what should I be looking for as far as handling and ride.

Fire Chief,

Adjusting the shocks like on the Softail is a fairly easy procedure so I would say don't hesitate to play with the adjustment settings to see if you like a firmer or softer ride depending on how you ride.

My bet is with your motocross background you will like a stiffer ride more than a softer ride. On my 08 Heritage the factory setting was fine while riding alone but rather soft when riding 2 up. After adjusting for a stiffer ride, because I ride 2 up more than alone, I did not notice any negative effects while riding by myself and I no longer bottom out with my passenger on board.

Just make sure you adjust both shocks evenly when doing so.

How do I know what the factory setting is? I am anxious to try some different settings. When you went from the solo to the 2 up setting how many turns did you adjust the shocks.

You will have no way to tell what the factory setting was but it is irrelevant at this point. No telling what the previous owner did to the bike. If it feels soft to you tighten it up a bit, if harsher than you like loosen it some. If you ride 2 up often I would recommend a little stiffer ride than if you ride solo.

I wish I could remember how much I adjusted mine but I made numerous adjustments until it felt right. Hope this helps.

FWIW, My Bike ('07 Softail Custom) bottomed constantly and was slightly unstable in fast tight turns.

I turned both shocks (adjustment) 1 full turn toward the loosened lock nut, perfect results.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Back