free website stats program Rear rocker box frame clearance | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear rocker box frame clearance

WES AKERS

I have searched the site and can't find anyone who has had a problem that I have. I have a rear rocker box gasket leak (1996 Heritage) and can't get the middle section out because it is two blocked between the engine parts and frame. Anyone else run into this problem?

I have searched the site and can't find anyone who has had a problem that I have. I have a rear rocker box gasket leak (1996 Heritage) and can't get the middle section out because it is two blocked between the engine parts and frame. Anyone else run into this problem?

I assume, perhaps incorrectly, that you are trying to remove the rocker arm support plate so that you can remove the rocker box itself. If that is the case then you are experiencing what most experience; nothing wrong with the frame, the clearance are just tight. Believe it or not, the rocker support plate will come out, it's just a painful process keeping the breather bolts up and everything lined up so it will come out the right side; forget trying to remove it from the left side. You just have to be patient and keep working with it and it will come out. I suggest that when you do get it out, you 86 the OEM breathers and install the later stamped breather. The bolts are shorter you will not struggle with installing the rocker box or future removal; it will come out easily.

I remember the first time I had to remove the rear lower rocker box when doing a top end job on a 2002 FLHT many years ago. I struggled with it, unsuccessfully for over 30 minutes, my wife overheard all the swearing and came out to the garage to see what the problem was. She told me to move over and she had the rocker support plate out quicker than I could open another beer.o_O

This is an evo motor, 1996. I thought you may have missed that because you talked about a 2002 which is a twin cam I believe. Can you please tell me what the breather bolts are? I have no reference to those in my manual that I've seen. I'm having trouble getting the middle section out. Once I get that out I'll remove the bolts holding the lower section to the head. Hopefully I won't have any problem with that. I head that on some bikes you have to compress the exhaust valve spring for clearance. thanks for helping me out on this dolt!

This is an evo motor, 1996. I thought you may have missed that because you talked about a 2002 which is a twin cam I believe. Can you please tell me what the breather bolts are? I have no reference to those in my manual that I've seen. I'm having trouble getting the middle section out. Once I get that out I'll remove the bolts holding the lower section to the head. Hopefully I won't have any problem with that. I head that on some bikes you have to compress the exhaust valve spring for clearance. thanks for helping me out on this dolt!

You are right; the fact that you are working on an EVO went right past me; my bad. I am not an EVO guy and I am hesitant to speak to situations that I have no hands on experience with. However, from what I understand removing that middle section is a challenge but it is a bit like a puzzle. A lot of EVO guys say they do not remove the pushrods but the ones that do remove the rocker arms and pushrods say the removal of the middle section is easier. There is also a group of EVO guys that don't bother with fighting that middle section and loosen the front motor mount and let the motor drop down to remove the middle section.

Apologies for my previous misinformed post and good luck!

No rubber mount to drop on a Softail. I'd do as Jack suggested above, rotate the engine so the rocker arms are down, and finagle the middle section out.

No rubber mount to drop on a Softail. I'd do as Jack suggested above, rotate the engine so the rocker arms are down, and finagle the middle section out.

Well, I missed that too! Thinking FL. I guess I should read posts twice before responding.:oops: I will be watching and learning.;)

As a former owner of a '94 FLSTC I can say without a doubt getting that cover and spacer off is a pain. You have to move the spacer to the left an move the cover to the right. I remember working on it for several hours trying not to damage the spacer or the cover. It seemed like some type of Gordian knot. At the point of near screaming the cover fell into my hand. The spacer needs to be turned 45* or so. It went back together very easily. Good luck.

Back