free website stats program Rear Right "Singing" | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Right "Singing"

germe1967

Hey All,

I have had my 2012 Heritage Softail Classic since February. I just had the 1000 mile maintenance done. Before doing that, I noticed a "singing" noise from the right side of the bike. I noticed the fender extension was loose and got a new one and all fixed. Noise was still there. Brought it in for the 1000 mile and they told me it was the belt. Now, a week later, I still have the singing noise. As soon as I let up on the throttle is when it is loudest. I looked at the wheel and there used to by 5 balancing weights on there. All but two are gone. Could this be causing that noise. After all the cash I just dropped on this bike, I think I should be able to ride it without hearing that disturbing noise!

By "singing" are you talking about a high pitched whine, rubbing or what? I would ask the dealer to check the spokes and the wheel bearings. You may have a sticking piston on the rear caliper or the sound could be coming from bad bearings in the transmission. Do you have any rub marks on the rear tire?

Interesting noise since the belt is on the left, may be the brake pads are noisey, did the spring clip fall out?

Took it to the dealer. They said it was the belt adjusted too tight. Pulling from that side was effecting the brake shoe riding on the rotor on the other side. Scary. They fixed it. Sound is gone.

The sound was a "wub wub wub" sound. Pretty loud and didn't stop when the brake was applied.:newsmile020:

Glad they found the problem, hope you don't have any problems with the transmission main seal. Thanks for letting us know.

Back