free website stats program Rear Pully Bolts cracked | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Pully Bolts cracked

Joe2007ultra

Hi all

Any one experiance rear pully bolts shearing? I run an 80 spoke American Wire wheel with a stock pully on my 2007 Ultra. I had 2 bolts shear this week. The wheel has been on for 2 years and has 10,000 miles on it.The thing that bothers me is that they sheard and from what I can see where not loose. I dont ride this bike hard or pull hole shots.

I am sure someone is going to ask how do I know they were tight. The threaded portion that was left in the hub were still loc tight in place when I drilled them out.

Just curious if anyone has had this problem. Do they make aftermarket bolts that maybe stronger?

The proper type bolts for the wheel and pulley are essential. There's different types used on different wheels and pulley combinations and this is the biggest cause of bolt shear.

Should have mentioned above, proper torque and the length of bolts also are important. Try threading the bolt into the wheel without the pulley and see if it bottoms out before the head comes close to the surface, also clean out the bolt holes in the wheel good.

Grip length was the first thing I thought of. they seem ok. I just emailed American Wire wheel. Will see what they say.

I had all of mine shear on my heritage but it was only a couple hundred miles lafter new rear tire install. Turns out the tech who did the job reused the old bolts and they could have been suspect since the bike had 35,000 miles on it.

I have repaired quite a few wheels that the bolts sheared off, most of them had the wrong grade bolt installed.

VT wouldnt the original bolts be the correct grade? I think mine were too long and bottomed out in the hub. I noticed if I hand screw them in they bottom out and the washer is still loose. to tighten them you have to really torque them . I am waiting to see what American Wire Wheel says. If they tell me there are bolts made by them for that install I will be asking the dealer why he used the wrong bolts. looks like my wheel is scrap if American wire wheel can't change the hub.

Thanks for the input

Back