free website stats program Rear pulley | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear pulley

Does anyone know if those stop plates are machined on the pully. I wouldn't really think so, my bet is that they are bonded on some how.
kemo

Ive seen more than a few of these split pulleys pop up on the boards over the years...its always a shame to see one.

From the pics it looks like the belt has pushed the rim off the pulley as its normal for a belt to track to the outside when going forwards and inside when going backwards he must have been going backwards a lot or perhaps something is wrong with the alignment

Brian

Here are the pictures. Note the rim. It got it pretty bad. The service writer saw his trailer hitch and said if the MOCO knew about that the warranty would be void. Me being me I said I had one on my bike also and would he please show me where it will void the warranty. Well, Dan's bike is being fixed under warranty.:D

Oh yeah, he said the problem was the trailer caused the bike to make too much torque. Dan and I looked at each other and laughed. They will blow smoke if you let them!:D:D

So, we really don't need to put on big bore kits, or anything like that, if you pull a trailer, your bike will make more torque. Interesting!!

Good catch on the problem, that would have been real intersting at any kind of speed.

Here are the pictures. Note the rim. It got it pretty bad. The service writer saw his trailer hitch and said if the MOCO knew about that the warranty would be void. Me being me I said I had one on my bike also and would he please show me where it will void the warranty. Well, Dan's bike is being fixed under warranty.:D

Oh yeah, he said the problem was the trailer caused the bike to make too much torque. Dan and I looked at each other and laughed. They will blow smoke if you let them!:D:D

The rim of the belt sprocket should not be taking hardly any "side load" as it is a retention lip only. I would have thought the sprocket was a single billet or prssure/formed casting, but seeing fracture so "clean" on the tooth sde where it broke away, it might have started as 3 piece assembly and then heat/pressure forged. The thing is, I have seen aluminum bonded with epoxy and prefer dip brazing which is expensive, obviously their bonding was esentially a "glue" like cynoacrylic (super-glue). :small3d007:

Last edited:
I totally agree with NewHD. I also thought the rear pulley was a single Billet piece of metal. My question now is this. It looks like the belt is tracking HARD in the direction of the damage. Something is not right there.

I know what your going to say when I tell you this, but after I accurately aligned my rear tire, my belt no longer pushes hard up against either side lip of the pulley. Maybe it is just my bike, I don't know. But it makes no sense to me that "by design" there should be so much side thrust of the belt as in this damaged example.

I totally agree with NewHD. I also thought the rear pulley was a single Billet piece of metal. My question now is this. It looks like the belt is tracking HARD in the direction of the damage. Something is not right there.

I know what your going to say when I tell you this, but after I accurately aligned my rear tire, my belt no longer pushes hard up against either side lip of the pulley. Maybe it is just my bike, I don't know. But it makes no sense to me that "by design" there should be so much side thrust of the belt as in this damaged example.

We didn't look hard at the belt. Something could have gotten under the outside edge of the belt and caused it to track inward. We will see when they tear it down and see what they say.

The late model touring bikes have cams on both sides to adjust the belt. The adjustment is made from one side, adjusting both sides at the same time.

Joe, I understand. But once you take it all apart a lot of the reverse engineering evidence will be destroyed.

This is only my opinion and it is not worth the change of a nickel but I strongly believe most guys look at their rear wheel alignment and say "looks good to me" "That's close enough",, "I put it back to where it was so it must be right" or something along those lines. Even a sight amount of mis-alignment will and can cause all sorts of problems in my mind.

Thanks for taking the time to post those Great pictures. I learned from them. They are a great "Deposit" to the knowledge base of the Forum.

Back