Rear pulley

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Redfish-Joe, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

I stopped by a friends house today and he wanted to ride my Road Glide. I hopped on his 09 Ultra and there we went. I had barely pulled out of his driveway when I started hearing something loose, a metallic sound. Pulled over when I could and got to looking and his rear pulley was broke. The inner rim was totally broken off the pulley, the belt had tracked inward about 3/4" and the pulley rim had beat the heck out of his wheel rim.

Oh yeah, I did turn his stereo off before we left. He said he never heard anything.

Has this happened to anyone else? Called the shop and they haven't heard of this either. We will see what they say Saturday when we take it in.

2. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

A picture or two would speak a thousand words. This I gotta see.

3. Redfish-Joe

I've been to two world fairs and 3 goat ropings and I ain't never seen anything like that.:D:D

I'll take my camera over there Saturday when we put it on the trailer. I'll post them Saturday night.

4. Redfish-Joe

That is exactly what is going on. Made a weird sound rolling on the rim. :D

5. Redfish-Joe

The shop said yes to all. They haven't seen anything like it either. It will be an interesting Saturday.LOL

6. chester1957

chester1957 Member

I saw this once on a early TC dyna, made one heck of a mess of his back wheel.

7. Redfish-Joe

Here are the pictures. Note the rim. It got it pretty bad. The service writer saw his trailer hitch and said if the MOCO knew about that the warranty would be void. Me being me I said I had one on my bike also and would he please show me where it will void the warranty. Well, Dan's bike is being fixed under warranty.:D

Oh yeah, he said the problem was the trailer caused the bike to make too much torque. Dan and I looked at each other and laughed. They will blow smoke if you let them!:D:D

Attached Files:

8. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

being that solid aluminum that is wild its like it was purposely under cut the way it broke no jagged edges

9. whatyardwork

whatyardwork Banned

Redfish Joe to the rescue!Imagine what would have happened if you didnt jump on that bike and recognize the severity of the problem.

If that thing locked up on him at speed?????

Id say he's buying the brews for a while.

10. Redfish-Joe

Yep he's good for them!

Really I most likely would not have heard anything unless I turned his stereo off. Riding a different bike I don't like distractions. Good thing I did!!