free website stats program Rear Pulley Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Pulley Question

Mongo44

I am about 98% sure I already know the answer to this question, but thought I'd ask in hopes that I'm wrong...

I just replaced my (EDIT) original pulley (1995 FLSTN, 65T 1.5") and have run into a snag (as usual). The new pulley has a 2" center hole. The problem is that the hub-side of the pulley has a larger opening, so when I place the pulley on the hub, it has much free-play unless a spacer/adapter is used. Well, if I use the spacer/adapter, the pulley is too far out, thereby offsetting the belt alignment. [While the pulley is not the oem part, its dimensions, offset, etc is identical to the oem pulley.]

I have found a couple of very thin spacers without the adapter part, but am not sure that will make any difference.

Anyone have any suggestions other than buying another pulley?

Thanks!

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, its not identical to OEM or it would fit. Not trying to be wise guy here. You will have to sell the one have and get the correct pulley for your bike. I'm sure HD will have many options for you to chose from.
wilks3
:USA

Okay, it's identical except for the hub side of the center hole. I merely stated "identical" because it needs no spacer. It does need an adapter, however.

Hard to describe this and make sense at the same time... The front side of the center hole is 2", but the hub side is like 2.5", so it doesn't fit snug around the flange on the hub itself. I need something that will snug it up (that will fill the space of the wider opening on the hub side).

That's what I would do Mongo, if it ain't workin call the folks you bought it from and ask them how it's supposed to work.

Thanks guys!

The guy said it needs the adapter, which also happens to be a spacer (which I don't need). If I just had a thick ring to fit in that space, I think it would be fine. I bolted it on and it ain't movin', but I'm just concerned that something COULD happen down the road. Don't need that...

Mongo no matter how tight you make the bolts on the pulley over time the pulley will move and become offcenter. It would appear that you have been sold the wrong pulley for you bike, or your rear hub has been changed. The boss on the hub needs to be the correct fit for the pulley. You stated that you have a 65 tooth rear pulley on your '95 model, I don't have a manual for '95 but I ride a '94FLSTC and stock pulley for mine is 70 tooth.

Mongo no matter how tight you make the bolts on the pulley over time the pulley will move and become offcenter. It would appear that you have been sold the wrong pulley for you bike, or your rear hub has been changed. The boss on the hub needs to be the correct fit for the pulley. You stated that you have a 65 tooth rear pulley on your '95 model, I don't have a manual for '95 but I ride a '94FLSTC and stock pulley for mine is 70 tooth.

Hey Don,

I think you're right about it needing to be tight.

Yes, I believe the 70T was what it came with, but the original owner replaced it with the 65T HD pulley of exact dimensions (except for the tooth count). It's part number 40315-94.

I am thinking that if I had an adapter without the spacer part, it would work just fine.

If you have the old pulley and the new one off the bike you should be able to have a local machine shop make a spacer. Sorry about changing you name.

I think that's what I'll do.

I was just looking at the bike and noticed the back wheel is offset somewhat. I know I got all the spacers back on properly. Man, I have been having nothing but bad luck (which is my usual story). Unreal...

Thanks so much for your help, Don (and all others who have chimed in). I just bought another pulley (same as original OEM) for fifty bucks. This little deal just cost me $300. What a waste!

Back