free website stats program Rear Master Cylinder Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Master Cylinder Question

Dallas HD

Hi guys, been riding a while, but never actually service the bike myself. I was adding on some chrome last night when my son opened the rear master cylinder when installing chrome over it. It was not supposed to be opened. I put the lid back on and tighted it, but not too much. I am wondering if this will cause any problems. No fluid leaked, just opened lid and put back on. Wasn't sure if pressure was released or anything. Thanks.

There is a "bellows" gasket that expands as the pads wear and the fluid level drops a bit, so when you remove the cover, take it out and see if it is expanded out while also checking the fluid level. Make sure the cover calls out the proper DOT brake fluid that the old one you are/were replacing just to be sure.

That is why they have two part numbers for the chrome trim cover. That is also one of the reasons why I have not changed the front m/c cover on my Sporty to include the new gas level gage available in 2010, besides being a 2004 when compatibility lists 2007 and above...

Last edited:
Thanks guys, that's perfect! Such great advice on here.

Also, i'm thinking of upgrading to a louder horn and putting on a heavy breather. Any advice or things to look out for? I have an '05 Road King with 2 into 1 exhaust done by Rick Fairless' Strokers. I was thinking it would be highly worth the money to install a power commander at the same time.

Although not the prettiest, the Stebel air horn seems to be a good horn @ 110+ decibels. You can get them on ebay or other places on the net for less than $50. Your local HD has them for $80.
Go to the self help forums at top left of this page. There's lots of info about the various efi modules. It will help you decide which is best for you.

... i'm thinking of ... putting on a heavy breather. ... I have an '05 Road King with 2 into 1 exhaust done by Rick Fairless' Strokers. I was thinking it would be highly worth the money to install a power commander at the same time.
Don't rule out the possibility of getting Rick Fairless' Strokers (or the local muffler shop) to put some O2 sensor bungs in the pipes, get a pair of stock non-heated sensors, a few connector parts, the TTS tuner, and go premierly closed-loop. Unless you've put some forced-air or NOx feeds on the engine, there's nothing that'll make it run better than the TTS tuner, and you can get the fueling spot-on for about everywhere you run the engine except (EDITED) in a couple hours yourself.

I've got a PC-IIIusb on the shelf for an '07 touring bike (different part number than for yours) because of the TTS equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back