free website stats program Rear light bar loose | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear light bar loose

Billbo

2011 FLHR - the rear light bar with turn signals is loose. How do I tighten it?
I can feel what I believe are square nuts welded inside the fender, but, I can not figure out how to tighten them from the rear of MC. Can't see any screw/bolt on the outside of fender to tighten?? I have already bought the 2011 Touring Service Manual and so far I can't find anything on it.

PS: the world famous 'service manual' leaves a lot to be desired - in my humble but acurate opinion.

Thanks again for all the help given out on this forum.

Bill

There are two bolt, I believe 5/16", that attach the light bar to the fender from the inside. You may have some difficulty getting a wrench on them with the rear wheel in place but it can be done. The fasteners are part #3 in the diagram DFHarley19 linked in his post. Red Loctite is your friend for this application.:D

Yes, I did add bagger to my wife's XL883L Sportster. I have to loose rear wheel first... I don't know about RKC. I will take a look into that tonight but mine is 2010 and yours is 2011. What I see in diagram is different than what I have on my bike.

Have the same problem on my 09 occasionally. You have to lay on the ground and get your hand and open end wrench up inside the rear fender to reach the nuts. Not easy but can be done.

thanks all for replies. I just thought I felt a square nut and thought it was welded to inside of fender since it did not move when lightbar moved????
I put my finger up under fender on the nut and while touching it, I moved the lightbar and the nut did not move? Seems IF it is a bolt from the inside and the bar is loose, the bolt head should at least move some.

I will try to get wrench on it and try to turn/tighten. Hope that works.
Bill

On a non Harley I had a similar problem and the bolts were tight. The rubber grommet that was to isolate vibration was worn and allowing light assembly to move..

On a non Harley I had a similar problem and the bolts were tight. The rubber grommet that was to isolate vibration was worn and allowing light assembly to move..

Now you may be hittin' on sumpin there. I have a distinct 'rattle' coming from the back end somewhere. I hit around and jerked around until I found the light bar loose and it did make a rattle when I moved it by hand even. That's what I think is my rattle so I went to tighten it up and thus these posts. BUT I did not notice any rubber gromets to check - I will go back to the diagram to see if there are any.
I will still try to get an end wrench up in there to tighten if I can.

Will let everyone know what happens tomorrow.
Thanks again
Bill

Now you may be hittin' on sumpin there. I have a distinct 'rattle' coming from the back end somewhere. I hit around and jerked around until I found the light bar loose and it did make a rattle when I moved it by hand even. That's what I think is my rattle so I went to tighten it up and thus these posts. BUT I did not notice any rubber gromets to check - I will go back to the diagram to see if there are any.
I will still try to get an end wrench up in there to tighten if I can.

Will let everyone know what happens tomorrow.
Thanks again
Bill

If you have aftermarket mufflers there is a possibility that the baffle can come loose especially if they are Rush mufflers. Do ask how I know. Also grasp muffler and move to see if you can duplicate noise sometimes the rear hangers can create strange noises.

thanks all for replies. I just thought I felt a square nut and thought it was welded to inside of fender since it did not move when lightbar moved????
I put my finger up under fender on the nut and while touching it, I moved the lightbar and the nut did not move? Seems IF it is a bolt from the inside and the bar is loose, the bolt head should at least move some.

I will try to get wrench on it and try to turn/tighten. Hope that works.
Bill

The fasteners that secure the light bar are not square; hex headed 5/16" bolt. Are you sure you are touching the right fastener while moving the light bar? The light bar fastener will move with the light bar if the light bar is loose. There is no rubber grommet associated with the light bar and the fasteners.

Back