free website stats program Rear Hub Spacer | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Hub Spacer

TomnTerri

So I hit this really big pothole. Tweeked my rear wheel. 2003 FXDX.
I order a wheel from Bike bandit. Part number 40975-00.
Comes without bearings so I order bearings. I'm putting it together and I drop in the hub spacer from the old wheel and it is way loose. The old hub had a rim around it that supported the 1 in dia. spacer. The new one has no rim and the hole is more like 1.25 It seems to be the right wheel otherwise. It has HD stamped on it.

So my question is what happened? Did they send me the wrong wheel, or did HD change the spec on the wheel? Is there a different spacer that will fit?

Thomas

Sealed. Part # 9267

OK, just thinking about the problem here. Does the spacer really need to contact the hub? The old one did and I'm sure it makes the instillation much easier, but is it necessary? The axle will hold it in proper position. as long as I can keep it reasonably close when I seat the bearings and am able to get the axle through it, does anything else matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
The bearing spacer is needed. Without the spacer, the inner race of each bearing will be pulled toward each other when you tighten the axle nut. It would destroy the bearings.
Also if you change the spacer length (make longer), you will then have to change the width of the outside spaces.

I would say you received the wrong wheel.

No, sorry, I didn't mean to suggest not using the spacer. I meant to use the spacer, but to not worry about the fact that the stock spacer does not contact the hub the way the old one did. The little rims on the hub that hold the spacer centered are missing. Seems to me that the only thing the spacer does is set against the inner races of the bearings so, like you said, they will not be pulled together.
I think I've been worrying about nothing. The axle itself will serve to hold the spacer in position. The little rims on the old wheel were probably just there to keep things lined up during instillation and make putting the wheel together easier. Probably not really necessary.
I think I'm going to put it together like it is unless anyone points out something I'm missing.

put it together just like you said. all the spacer is for is to keep the innerraces apart and not drawn together. it does make it easier if the hub supports it and keeps it centered to slide axle thru. but will work fine how it is.

Back