free website stats program Rear Flat, Plug or? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Flat, Plug or?

Thanks for all the sound advice. New tire should be in Weds.
Got a Michelin commander from JP for $170.00I will do a little scooting around until then
160/70B17

At the least you will have peace of mind knowing the tire has not been compromised!

Yes, new tire is the smart way. I did not put the tube in, and did not run on the tire without air.
don't know why valve stem started leaking!

Tube in tire, air leaking by the stem = leak from tube.
Easly pinch when installed, need to air it up part way let it all out, 2 times or more to be sure it is not twisted.

Dad taught us to use a bit of baby powder on tube, and like joel, put air in let out a few times to make sure tube is not pinched, learned te hard way on slit rim wheels long ago

Dad taught us to use a bit of baby powder on tube, and like joel, put air in let out a few times to make sure tube is not pinched, learned te hard way on slit rim wheels long ago
How about getting the beads broken and removing ring from wheel? Jack were you not concerned when airing up wheels in the cage is ring going to hold? :eek:

How about getting the beads broken and removing ring from wheel? Jack were you not concerned when airing up wheels in the cage is ring going to hold? :eek:
Breaking the beads was not to bad, getting the rings off could be a problem, making sure they were not sprung, airing them up we used a 3/8 log chain wrapped thru the center of the wheel did not have a cage, once you hear the bead pop up if ring did not fly off you were good to go

Well, all stated concerns are valid, in a world of accessibility.

I've ridden many miles with plugs in my tires, front and rear. A couple times as many as three plugs in the rear tire (once, the three were within four inches of each other). Tires weren't easily available in Vietnam, and I was on a mission.

Only once did a plug fail me, and I expected it too, because the puncture from a rock was big. (Actually, I had nail puncture at the same time, about eight inches from the rock.) Thankfully, I had just returned to Saigon from a road trip into the Delta (for the 3rd time). I was carrying a used tire as a spare (because of a minimum of thread left on the main tire) and changed it at a buddies shop. Then rode back to Nha Trang.

I rode another 10,000 miles across Vietnam--41,000 total.

Be safe.
6gear
www.harleytracks.com

Back