Rear exhaust popping

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by TThomp, Jan 4, 2009.

1. TThomp

TThomp New Member

Alright guys:

New to this forum, and I have read through as many of the like type posts as I could find, the problem I have is the Popping is only in the rear cylinder exhaust it is all the time (hot or cold) and when idling or at a constant slow speed rpm (1700 to 2000), if I am accelerating it sounds great, power is good, but it has this uncharacteristic hollow popping sound. Engine is a Revtech 100 in. (not a 4x4) mikuni 42, V&H straight shots, Crane hi-4, ngk dpc7e plugs .40 gap, good wires, good coil, tight pipe, driving me crazy, Oh and about 4000 mi on engine. really could use some help. Thanks

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Have you done a compression test on the two cylinders yet?

Do you have adjustable push rods? Are they adjusted properly? Have you checked them?

No exhaust leaks?

3. TThomp

TThomp New Member

Ill do a compression check in the morning, dont have adjustable push rods and there are no leaks that I can find. Thanks

4. docsledge

docsledge Active Member

I vote for exhaust leak or likely an intake leak on rear cylinder. Does it seem more erratic at idle than you would expect? I had a bike with these symptoms. Good acceleration, and would cruise well, but would pop and kind of stutter when holding a low rpm speed. I swore that thing didn't have a intake leak, but it did.