free website stats program Rear exhaust popping | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear exhaust popping

TThomp

Alright guys:

New to this forum, and I have read through as many of the like type posts as I could find, the problem I have is the Popping is only in the rear cylinder exhaust it is all the time (hot or cold) and when idling or at a constant slow speed rpm (1700 to 2000), if I am accelerating it sounds great, power is good, but it has this uncharacteristic hollow popping sound. Engine is a Revtech 100 in. (not a 4x4) mikuni 42, V&H straight shots, Crane hi-4, ngk dpc7e plugs .40 gap, good wires, good coil, tight pipe, driving me crazy, Oh and about 4000 mi on engine. really could use some help. Thanks

Have you done a compression test on the two cylinders yet?

Do you have adjustable push rods? Are they adjusted properly? Have you checked them?

No exhaust leaks?

Ill do a compression check in the morning, dont have adjustable push rods and there are no leaks that I can find. Thanks

Have you done a compression test on the two cylinders yet?

Do you have adjustable push rods? Are they adjusted properly? Have you checked them?

No exhaust leaks?

I vote for exhaust leak or likely an intake leak on rear cylinder. Does it seem more erratic at idle than you would expect? I had a bike with these symptoms. Good acceleration, and would cruise well, but would pop and kind of stutter when holding a low rpm speed. I swore that thing didn't have a intake leak, but it did.

Back