free website stats program rear ended | Harley Davidson Forums

rear ended

rsbourff

While at a redlight this weekend, I was rear ended. damage that I could see was to tailpipes,fender,saddlebag and rails,brakelight assembly and possibly crashbar. I am wondering if I should be aware of any other damage that I may not be able to see, that can be caused by being hit from the rear. I was told that if there is damage to one tailpipe then they both would have to be replace. Would like to know as much as possible before the adjuster comes out to look at it. Any advise would be heplful, Thanks.

Sorry I can't help you with the parts damage but would like to know details of crash. Did you have a Hi-intensity led tail light,, teenybopper texting,, wet road,,etc. I am told that police now check cell phones for recent calls/text.
Appears you escaped bodily damage which is more important than bike repair.

Best to have WHERE you have the bike repaired do the Damage Look.

Any here will be just guessing as WE can't see the bike.

Do you have a Trusted HD or private shop you use, where the repair will be done?
That is where you go. The insurance will send out there adjuster to look. Make bike available to them and BE NICE.Their job is to see the damage and report back THEN your repair shop sends in their estimate to them.

YOUR choice of shop to fix bike.... They will List the damage and give it to the Fault insurance co.. IF they find More than the fault insc. did, they will get it straightened out.

I am in a situation where the HD shop replaced my front tire (backed into) and insc.(fault insc) has not paid them yet. Proper channels need to be gone thru and have by MY shop repair,,,, my HD shop is Just waiting for the additional check.
Paper work:(

Hope this helps.

signed....BUBBIE

It was around 9:30am and the weather was dry and cool, around 50 degree. Been at the redlight for a few seconds. The next thing I knew, I was thrown off the bike and landed on the sidewalk with my right ankle pinned under the bike and agaisnt the curb. After realizing the best way to get my foot loose, I was able to stand up, and thats when I noticed the man driving the car was pulling away and drove off. I was able to get his tag number and gave it to the police when they arrived. As luck would have it, the tag was register to the car that hit me and also to the man who was driving it. I got a good look at the driver as he was slowly driving off, and when I saw the picture of the owner on the printout from his driver license, i knew it was the same guy.
I had the stock brake light bulb, but do have what they call Backoff Lights on it.

Are you talking about damage to the mufflers? If the impact damaged the bags and mufflers, it probably damaged the header pipes too. Both headers and mufflers, bags and all the related hangers and attachment points. I would also want the swing arm and swingarm bearings replaced. Check for damage to the rear tire and rim as well as hidden damage to the rear fender, lights and wiring. If you were behind someone did you also strike the vehicle in front of you? Damage to the frame is hard to spot so your bike needs to be taken to a Harley dealer for a through going over. You may also have some neck and back damage that won't show up for a few days so don't sign anything untill you have been checked out too. Keep us posted

And yes, the police can issue a subpoena to the phone company and have them to send a copy of your phone calls or texts made from a person phone, with the date and time they were made

Dis-reguard my previous post.......

This Hit and Run IS TOTALLY different.. To much for me to answer here.

You need to GET your insurance involved If you have insurance.

Think about IF you have DAMAGE.....????

The bike can be fixed. Does/Did HE have insurance....???

IF so IT will get done.

He should be behind bars in my book.

signed....BUBBIE

Yes, I have a private shop that does all my work on it. I trust them but just didnt know what to do in case they find something that the insurance adjuster may miss, but am sure the shop has dealt with this before. I learned a long time ago, you will get more done if you are nice. thanks for the advise

The left tailpipe was pushed against the fender. looks to me like the rear fender will have to be replace from the damage I can see. No, I was the first one at the light. Also, when I use my back brake pedal the brake light wont work but does when I use the front lever

Last edited by a moderator:
While at a redlight this weekend, I was rear ended. damage that I could see was to tailpipes,fender,saddlebag and rails,brakelight assembly and possibly crashbar. I am wondering if I should be aware of any other damage that I may not be able to see, that can be caused by being hit from the rear. I was told that if there is damage to one tailpipe then they both would have to be replace. Would like to know as much as possible before the adjuster comes out to look at it. Any advise would be heplful, Thanks.

that line - told that if there is damage to one tailpipe then they both would have to be replaced. You may try saying that to the insurance adjuster for more money. However, I never heard of that. I only replace what needs replacing. One of the main things I suggest you look at. Is the swing arm. Look at it straight on from the back. Take notice if the axle is parallel with the ground when the scoot is sitting level ( not on its kick-stand), may have to have someone else hold the bike level. Also, from here on out I'll bet you will be watching the vehicles in your mirrors more often when you come to a stop from now on. I always and I mean always. When I come to a stop and if Im behind someone. I make sure that I have a way out from getting caught between the vehicle in front of me and the one coming up at me from the rear. Always keep in mind that when your behind a vehicle while stopped in traffic. To another driver in a cage coming up to stop. There's a very good chance that we ( on our scoot) blend in with the vehicle in front of us.( Our tail lite may look like the tail lite of the vehicle in front of us) Taking away that split second from the driver of the car coming up behind us from seeing us. Just remember their braking distance is only calculated for them to stop behind the vehicle their pulling up behind. Your motorcycle is not in that stopping equation if your not seen. What I just shared may not have been the cause of your accident. But it is an awareness that every rider should be aware of.

zoood/RJ

The left tailpipe was pushed against the fender. looks to me like the rear fender will have to be replace from the damage I can see. No, I was the first one at the light. Also, when I use my back brake pedal the brake light wont work but does when I use the front lever

I'd be careful HOW and WHO i said that to, about the brake.... IF you know you had the front brake on, I'd leave it go at that...

Careful, tides can turn on you. Still NO cause for the driver to Leave the seen.

signed....BUBBIE

Back