free website stats program Rear end wobble. | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear end wobble.

SeaRider04

I got a strange rear end wobbling on my Heritage when turning right at speed of 35mph and above, it's scared the life out of me when it does happens, not all the time but most of the time it's on right turn only, going straight and left turning are fine, tires pressure checked and tires are roughly 70% new, steering head/fall away checked and they are all within spec. Folk oil changed two months ago and they are full, bike rides good except right turns, the sharper I lean/turn, the scarier I get, front and rear tires/suspensions are checked and no loose or excessive play found. I haven't ride it much lately due to weather and have been checking it out but did not find any that would makes that right turn wobbling. Any idea where else to look for. Thanks.

I had trouble, (see "springer steering head Softail Models"), HD shop did 3 new front and 2 rear tires, trued spokes front and rear, axle bearing, at one point it was very bad so they changed the front axle and the bearings again and then neck bearing, was still there did neck bearing again much better but I still feel it ever now and then, Good luck it like a electrical thing had to find!

1 - Check rear wheel for side and vertical alignment.
2 - Buy a runout gauge and check sides and outer edge of tires.
3 - Check swing arms
4 - Check the rear tire for bulging or excessive wear.
5 - Tire pressure ok ????
6 - Rear wheel bearing. Put the bike in neutral and on a lift. Grab the rear tire and try to feel for excessive movement. Rotate the tire every 1-2 inches and repeat till you have gone full circle. I had a similar problem with my front end and my brother in law found a damaged bearing using this process.

put the bike on a lift in neutral hold a screw driver handle against the edge of ur right side of tire bracing it against swingarm. put it just so it touches tire. then spin tire and see if it pulls away or rubs hard on handle. try it in different spots on tire. think of the area of tire that contacts pavment when turning. it only takes a slight bulge in side of tire to make it wobble. bet if u change rear tire it will go away.

Well.... spent all day going thru all bolts and nuts, checking and double then triple check everything that attached to front and rear steering/suspensions, found right side front folk pinch bolt broken, don't know if this's a problem or not yet, need to get some tool to drill it out first, wish me luck. :)

Definately fix your fork (Or Folk) pinch bolt first, but it also sounds like a bearing problem to me too... I like #6 check from danger dan post

put the bike on a lift in neutral hold a screw driver handle against the edge of ur right side of tire bracing it against swingarm. put it just so it touches tire. then spin tire and see if it pulls away or rubs hard on handle. try it in different spots on tire. think of the area of tire that contacts pavment when turning. it only takes a slight bulge in side of tire to make it wobble. bet if u change rear tire it will go away.

Boy now that is an EXCELLENT simple way to eliminate runnout. Shucks I reckon you could stick one of the magnetic mounted digital runout gauges on it in place the same way. I'm gonna try this one.

Definately fix your fork (Or Folk) pinch bolt first, but it also sounds like a bearing problem to me too... I like #6 check from danger dan post

+1 on that. I'm gonna check my pinch bolts and see if they are broken.

Back