free website stats program Rear Drive Belt on 2010 RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Drive Belt on 2010 RKC

DFHarley19

I just found out that the rear drive belt need to be replaced. :newsmile038: The pictures speak itself. :(... I don't know what it happened but I am glad that my bike is in the garage not on the road!

I read the service manual and research online. :newsmile082: I can see that I need new belt, primary inner and outer gaskets and primary oil. I never done that before but did rebuild the engine on cars before so it must be not that difficult. I can see that it will be time consuming!

I could not believe that the belt cost $215!!! :small3d031: There must be cheaper than that out there. Anyone know where I can get them?

Please let me know if I miss anything. Many thanks!!! :thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2918.jpg
    IMG_2918.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2919.jpg
    IMG_2919.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2920.jpg
    IMG_2920.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 99
Looks like you picked up a rock, I have seen damage like this before , and I have known the belts to take a lot of abuse, that said if it were my bike I would replace it. There may be cheaper belts out there tho this price from a dealer is not bad IMO If you find the same belt cheaper play your dealer against the advertised price:D

Looks like you picked up a rock, I have seen damage like this before , and I have known the belts to take a lot of abuse, that said if it were my bike I would replace it. There may be cheaper belts out there tho this price from a dealer is not bad IMO If you find the same belt cheaper play your dealer against the advertised price:D

I believe it was damage by the rock... I checked the rear sprocket and there are no damage :newsmile071: but haven't seen the pulley yet so I hope it will be okay... :newsmile053:

I looked up and think below is what I need. Did I miss anything?

40024-09 REAR BELT 140 T, 1 inch
17369-06 GASKET SERVICE KIT (1K, 5K, 10K) w/ 11105 & seal clutch cover
34901-07 GASKET primary cover
34934-06 GASKET primary housing to case
Redline MTL primary oil

Seek advice on getting a good inner primary seal. It can be a bit tricky, and you do not want to get it all back together, only to discover that you have a leak.

While in there, I would take a good look at my stator (everything still firmly attached, with no signs of damage due to heat). Also, make sure your compensator bolt and where it threads in are completely clean of any oil, or your red locktite won't stick (bad news). Also, the starter seal and mainshaft seals might be a good "just because I'm in there" replacement, including the mainshaft seals on the tranny. Check the associated bushings and bearings while in there, too. You will have the inner primary off, and you won't want to take it back off later on.

Good luck,
Rich P

Many thanks to Jack and Rich P!!!

Jack, I have torque wrenchs and will need primary locking jam bar...

Rich P, I agree with you and added inner primary seal to the list as below. I didn't know that they have stator plug leak on other bikes. I couldn't find stator on Ronnie's and need part number for that one. I will keep my eye on it. Thanks!

I got part numbers from RONNIE'S HARLEY-DAVIDSON PITTSFIELD, MA (800) 253-7667 Great place to look up!

40024-09 REAR BELT 140 T, 1 inch
17369-06 GASKET SERVICE KIT (1K, 5K, 10K) w/ 11105 & seal clutch cover
34901-07 GASKET primary cover
34934-06 GASKET primary housing to case
12052A SEAL inner primary seal
Redline MTL primary oil
primary locking jam bar

I will order parts on Monday. :D

Many thanks!!!!

Back