free website stats program Rear disc hotter than front on 09 Deluxe? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear disc hotter than front on 09 Deluxe?

He said a Deluxe. Only 1 front rotor on the Deluxe.

This could be true. :s

What I have learned is that the pressure on the front brake lever has to be much higher than I am used to in comparison to other manufacturers. For a given pull there seems to be less braking force applied. I think the front master cylinder should be modified to reduce the effort needed.The rear braking force is applied by your foot obviously and more force can be applied easily. The front brake can't keep up with the rear and I think that is the reason why the comment was made that you replace the rear pads twice as often. It should be the other way around because the front brakes should supply the majority of braking effort. If anyone has ridden a Ducati Street Fighter then you know what good brakes are all about. Don't get me wrong, I love my Harley but am learning the differences every day.

HMMMMM, rear drive wheel, less air flow exhaust all reasons for more heat JMO

HMMMMM, rear drive wheel, less air flow exhaust all reasons for more heat JMO

I understand the theory but if this was the case then wouldn't my swing arm be warmer also? I think the main issue is that the modulation of the brakes is not what I would consider normal. Has anyone ever heard of automobiles needing their rear brakes replaced before the front. With a linked braking system more force is always applied to the front. Since Harley's brakes aren't linked then the front braking system should be more sensitive and require less force than it does. It appears that it is too easy to favor the rear brake. Just my opinion.

It is easy to favor the rear i know i have the habit of using more rear than fronts most the time .. not the best habit .. but i sure wouldnt want a linked system

It is easy to favor the rear i know i have the habit of using more rear than fronts most the time .. not the best habit .. but i sure wouldnt want a linked system

I'm not a fan of linked systems either. On a cycle you need individual control especially if you have a flat. I certainly appreciate the feedback from everyone! I am pushing 64 real hard and since this is my first Harley it has been an enjoyable learning experience.

Had a 1980 motto guzzi le mans which had the motto guzzi linked brake system as it was using brembo calipers and cast iron discs it was by far the best braking system on a motorcycle at that time would stop in almost half the distance of a similar weight bike from the land of the rising sun at that time
still to date havent felt better brakes on a bike
it gave 70% power to the front left disc and 30% to the rear disc leaving the front right disc to be used by the handlebar leaver

Brian

Do you ride with your toe on rear brake peddle?

No I don't.:newsmile100: I just didn't realize how this brake system works. Seems to have the feel of my old BMW with better performance. I guess the trade off is that there is probably a desire to maintain a certain feeling and if they went with an up to date Brembo system you would get negative feedback from longtime customers. I was out for a 50 some mile ride today and at any stop I would feel the front and rear rotors. If I increased my front grip pressure substantially from what I had been doing I now have more even usage. I don't want to make too big a deal out of this but it good to learn these differences. I also test rode an 09 CVO Springer in yellow with flames. Quite a bike but wouldn't trade for my Deluxe. Going to take an 09 CVO Street Glide out tomorrow. That may be fun since I've never ridden the touring line. Thanks again for the feedback!

Back