free website stats program Rear disc hotter than front on 09 Deluxe? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear disc hotter than front on 09 Deluxe?

harleypr

Account Removed
I have checked all the self help topics and couldn't find the answer to this. The rear disc is much hotter than the front after a ride. I can put my hand on the front disc but I estimate that the rear disc is 250-300 degrees. When the bike is on the lift there seems to be noticeable drag. Doesn't just spin like the front but I wouldn't expect it to with the tension of the belt. What's up? New bike and approximately 2k miles. Thanks for the input.:worthy

Usually rear brake will be hotter than front because most riders use it more to "level" attitude of the bike (less front brake for weight shift and front end dive). While it is unlikely you will lockup and skid the front tire, if the front dives and bottoms, it makes handling quite dicey...!

I am fairly new to HD Sportster, and unlike the Suzuki Katana, I use a bit more rear brake for that reason and yes it will be very hot to the touch as compared to the fronts (you will wear the rear pads out 2 to 1 front set).

Last edited:
If there is drag on the rear wheel I think the first thing that I would check would be the wheel alignment. If the wheel is cocked to one side more then the other it could cause the drag. If the alignment is good the next would be the caliper might not be retracting enough.
kemo

Go on a 1 mile test ride. Before you start out, brake rotors must be stone cold. Squeeze the rear brake hard, then go for the mile ride but don't use the rear brake at ALL. After a mile or so, stop the bike and feel the rear rotor. It should not be warm or hot at all. If the rear pads did not relax after the 1st squeeze, the rotor will be un-touchable.

The brake rotor isn't wrapped is it, just another thought.

The rotor doesn't appear to be warped. The disc is in contact with the pads at all times. I can see the front pads move out slightly when I release the brake, and the front wheel spins freely. The rear doesn't. I'm going out for a short ride right now to see if the rotor heats up without use, will be back soon. Thanks guys!

The disc brake calipers are "single action" meaning once you take pressure off the piston...the pads are nudged back by the slight runout contact of the disc rotor.

You should only hear a soft swish - swish sound and as others have stated if you do not use the rear for awhile, road irregularities add to the nudging of the brake pads that they should not be contacting rotor by the time you get back without touching the rear brake.

If rotor is hot...then you likely sticking caliper (grooved or dry pivot pin) or debris sticking the caliper piston in the bore. Warranty service may be required...if you are covered.

Go on a 1 mile test ride. Before you start out, brake rotors must be stone cold. Squeeze the rear brake hard, then go for the mile ride but don't use the rear brake at ALL. After a mile or so, stop the bike and feel the rear rotor. It should not be warm or hot at all. If the rear pads did not relax after the 1st squeeze, the rotor will be un-touchable.

I just got back from a 7 mile ride. I did as you said and when I pulled into my garage the front rotor was hot and the rear I could hold onto it. I must be using more rear than I thought. The rear wheel still doesn't spin freely but that must be how it is. I will concentrate on using the front more because that is where the stopping power is. I will monitor this on a longer freeway ride. Thanks for your help. This is my first Harley and I really value my unseen friends!:worthy

You must remember that you have the drag of the belt to restrict the rotation of the wheel.
kemo

With two rotors on the front for more braking action and only one on the back, IMO, the back would produce more heat under normal conditions.

Back