free website stats program Rear Cylinder Weeping Oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Cylinder Weeping Oil

Harley38

Hi everyone. I have been reading the forum for about a year and a half, but not posted much, until now.

I just noticed this yesterday after a ride. Rear cylinder is “weeping” oil at the base of the cylinder where it meets the block.

I have a 2011 FLHTK, all stock, 103 ci motor, with 650 miles on her. I am still taking it easy and keep my RPM under 3k. I let it warm up a few minutes before I take off on a ride. The Factory oil is still in it. I am pretty good with looking over the bike every other ride or so, plus I routinely wipe her down. I think I would notice it earlier if it was happening.

I read through my service manual and apparently the O-ring, or, base gasket, if excessively lubed will weep, but wouldn’t this have already happened before now?

I have searched the forum and this issue appears to be common in the EVO motors, but didn’t come across anything with the 103 motor.

I am taking it to the dealer this afternoon, but am looking for feedback from anyone if this has happened to them? What was/is the cause? Was it fixed, or do some just “live with it”? I do not want to live with it so hopefully this is an issue that the dealer will correct.

Thanks for your time on this one.

You may find that assembly lube has melted and is causing seepage. As to just happening now you may have eclipsed the number of miles or expansion and contraction cycles that concern would happen at. Clean off and take for a couple hundred mile ride and see if still wet.

The difference between an evo and your TC engine is that the evo had a paper gasket at the cylinder base and your TC has an "O" ring there instead which is pretty good at not leaking.

Are you sure it's not coming from some place higher up and dripping down? Try cleaning it thoroughly and see if it reoccurs again.

If the "O" ring is leaking there could be a few reasons like the cylinder studs aren't torqued properly or a defective "O" ring. Don't accept anything from the dealer other than a fix. If he tells you "they all do that" tell him you want to own the only one that doesn't do it and to fix it like they should be doing.

dbmg and glider, thanks for the quick responses and the advise, much appreciated.

I will wipe down after the dealer visit and take a nice ride, I want them to see it.

If it comes to something else needing attention, Glider you are correct, I want the "only one that doesn't do that".

I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks again.

If it continues, you might get the shop's opinion if it is safe as is until this winter when you won't miss much riding and get it fixed then.

Harley's cure for the EVO rear cylinder base leaking oil is a base gasket that is as sticky as fly paper. I had one put on mine a while back and it hasn't leaked at all.

Thanks for the feedback fossil and btsom, appreciate it.

Here is a quick update.

I went to the dealer yesterday and before going inside I looked at the "weep" again and it is more like a very small "leak" now. The oil is starting to travel around the block bolt just below the rear cylinder.

So I went in to service and explained my issue, they came outside to take a look and said, "yep you got a small leak when can you bring it in"?

So, bike will be going in on the 16th when I do my 1k service and they will be replacing the O-rings.

I have nothing but great things to say about the dealer, Old Glory Harley Davidson, Laurel, MD. Never had any issues and they are always helpful. :bigsmiley12:

I will let everyone know how the repairs go.

Thanks again.

I got the bike back and here is an update.

Rear seal has been fixed. New gaskets and O-ring and after a 60 mile ride yesterday all looks good, no leaks. It was a bad O-ring and I was told not a common issue, but has happened now and again. So, glad that is taken care of. :bigsmiley24:

Thanks again for everyones inputs and advice.

Back