free website stats program Rear Cylinder Plug Fouling | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Cylinder Plug Fouling

IS IT MY TURN???

I have a 2000 dyna..........

I think your slide needle is too high......

LOWER it to the BOTTOM position and try that....
that is easy enough to try...... are you using anti-seize on plug threads....
if not, you may wear out the alum threads in the heads with all that in-out of plugs.......

ANOTHER thought is the FLOAT is just a bit TOO high and allows gas to pass into rear cyl.......that is where it would affect first....

signed....BUBBIE
**yes i would like to know back --if it works... I almost would BET on that slide needle.......

Here's something else to consider. I didn't re read the entire thread but mixing parts from a kit and the stock parts like jets and emulsion tube will cause problems also.

That's what the previous owner of Shifters bike did, that's how he ended up with this problem...

No guilt here! I lost NZ$11000 ($25000 to $14000) on the bike by being honest with the dealer about why I was trading. I have spoken to the guy who brought my old bike from the dealer. They fixed the problem (but didn't say how). Probably poured lotsa money at it which I didn't have at the time.

Funny how they could fix it on their nickel but not on yours. :reyes

I guess they had more time to find it and a vested interest in doing so. It really drove me mad so I hope Shifter finds a solution.

When I bought the bike I lived 1500km further north and the temperature never went below zero. I never had a problem.

- Stock HD CV Carb
- Antisieze in use with plug install, unless done away from home
- Parts have come from HD, except for the idle mixture screw, which has been replaced with an EZ-Just mixture screw & bowl screw kit.
- Carb passages were all blown out with cleaner and compressed air when apart one of the numerous times

I haven't had time to get back on it today, but thanks for the ideas/input.

OK, finally got back on this problem after a few days of healing after trying to filet my right index finger from the end knuckle down, a trip to the hospital to patch me up and a tetanus shop. So, I pulled the carb off, set the Jet Needle to the bottom position and reset float level per manual instructions (It was too high), as Bubbie suggested. Reinstalled, problem went from rear plug fouling to both plugs fouling. Pulled carb, rechecked everything, pulled float and fuel inlet valve and replaced valve while apart. Reinstalled, same problem, both plugs. Pulled carb back off, disassembled everything and started cleaning, blowing it out again. Then I saw another post where someone asked about the main jet needle jet holder (emulsion tube) and how the needle jet goes back in the carb when it comes out. I looked in the book and saw the diagram and realized one never came out when I pulled the tube out before and cleaned it or was missing. I thought it was missing, but after tapping carb a few times on bench it came out...backwards. Reinstalled it correctly, reassembled everything and reinstalled it. Started bike just now and plugs are a brownish color, finally. Now I just have to ride it and tweak it to get the mixture right. Thanks to everyone for you suggestions and ideas:)

Ok, i am very intersted in whats was wrong with your bike, but i not following exacatly what your saying? what was in upside down? thanks chad.

Yes, the jet needle goes in prior to the tube that the main jet screws in to. The main jet is item #7. That jet needle was in upside down. I'm getting the nouns for these parts from the HD manual. The bike had a problem with fouling the rear cylinder plug from the first day I brought it home.

cv_carb_cutaway.jpg

Last edited:
Well, im glad you got it lined out, I thought the only needle that went thru the main jet was the one that is adustable thru the cap? guess you learn something every day.

Back