free website stats program rear cylinder not hot | Harley Davidson Forums

rear cylinder not hot

gdaugh

I have 1994 Dyna Low Rider Convertible which has been in storage for 2 years. After a cleanup and new sparks, gas and wires, the rear cylinder does not appear to be running. I have 130 lb compression on front and back. The front spark plug and cylinder is hot to the touch but the rear plug and cylinder is just warm, almost cold. I am getting spark on the rear plug. I replaced the ignition coal with no change. I have seen the rear cylinder release smoke on startup of bike. I have also drained the carb bowl. Do you have any suggestions on what could cause rear cylinder not to warm up?

G.

Pull the rear plug after running the engine and see if it is fuel fouled. Also, pull the plug wire on the rear while it is running to see if it has plenty of spark. Hold it about 1/2" from the tip of the plug to see if it can jump the gap. If all that is good, spray some either around the intake manifold of the rear cyl, while running, and see if you may have a massive intake leak. If you hear the cylinder "Light up" when spraying (don't dowse it due to fire hazard) then do the intake manifold reseal. If the front is getting fuel, the rear should also be getting it but may have the intake leak and with 130psi it should be good, so, it has to be fuel or spark so have a spare plug ready to put in also. It's a process of elimination to dial in the problem so you can fix it

Check everything JAXDWG said also when you have the spark plug out turn it upside down like it is in the head and make shure the center insulator is not broken and slides down and covers the electrode.

Thanks for the info. The spark plugs are new. Later this week, i can try your suggestions. Probably take another look at the carb.

Back