free website stats program rear cylinder getting hot | Harley Davidson Forums

rear cylinder getting hot

DURAN 408 RIDER

recently put new lifters on 1992 soft tail evo 80" and i put back together ran it for a few minutes now rear cylinder gets really hot, started a few times since and ran for less than 2 minutes and front cyliner stays cold while rear gets too hot and bike runs rough could I have a bent exhaust valve? Please help!

After it runs for a few minutes & you know the rear cylinder is hot, if you were to shut it down and immediately try to re-start it, does it turn slow or sound like the starter is dragging?

Have you verified that no oil holes got plugged and that you are getting oil up into the rocker boxes? Is your motor noisier than it used to be and how did you adjust pushrods? How many turns on them?

I am beginning to wonder if the rear cylinder is the OK one and the front cylinder is the one that is bad. The cylinder should get hot.

That would make a lot more sense. The problem is, I don't know if what you call "Hot" is the same as what I call Hot and what you call Cold is what I call cold.

I just went out to the garage and started my "96" and after 2 1/2 minutes of idling, I could not keep my thumb against the cylinder (either one).

I think you front cylinder is not working.

Hoop!

My question also is why did you feel you had to change lifters? And with hydraulic lifters did you bleed them down before installing them, that could be a problem also.

Check compression and look for leakdown a bent valve could cause this is the exhaust pipe glowing red

Jack, Doesn't it sound like the front cylinder is the one that is bad? It should not be cold after two minutes of running. Like you said, a compression test should tell all.

Hoop!

Hoop, its possible both cylinders have issues, I would run a compression test and leak down test for sure

Ir this happening only after pushrods where reinstalled with new lifters, he may have bent a valve, earlier I said if he bled down the lifters, I was wrong, he should have soaked the new lifters in oil, I was thinking of Shovelhead lifters, but if he made an adjustment wrong, he may have problems.

Back