free website stats program Rear cylinder cuts off and on when im riding! | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear cylinder cuts off and on when im riding!

raparicio

Please HELP on my 1995 carbureted Road king, im out of ideas my rear cylinder cuts off and on when im running. it doesnt do it all the time just when it wants to. it can be warm or hot it doesnt matter. 8 months ago i replaced igniton, coil, plugs, wires, and a few extras. ANY IDEAS????

Did you replace all of those things eight months ago BECAUSE you were having these problems? Or, did the problems start AFTER you replaced all those things?

yea, i was having the exact same problem. thats why i changed those things. i didnt know what it was so i changed all that and it worked. but now its back again. 8 months later

What is the next thing behind all of that? Igniter box etc? I would look at that. I am not familiar with that bike or its systems, but someone here is, and they will chime in soon. Good luck to you!!

I am thinking your bike is carbureted, please confirm. Did you confirm it is the rear cylinder (is the exhaust pipe cooler/cold to touch)? Did the problem start after you did a simple mod or addition BEFORE you started changing all those parts?) Did you check mating connectors and wires for receding contacts/broken pinched insulation for those parts you replaced, check under the seat area, the ECM and wiring IS very tight under there. Finally, inspect and if heavily contaminated replace the CKP (Crank Position Sensor). :hii

Not sure, Thanks anyway Ultra...Good

Yea, its carbureted. It was doing it before i changed those parts, I changed them and it fix it, at least for 8 months now its back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting money on break in wiring or defective control module

Do the primary wires connect to the coil with spade connectors? I've seen a miss caused by the connectors getting loose either with age and vibration or being removed and plugged back on. If they wiggle easily, you may be getting an intermittent poor connection. Squeeze the female connectors slightly and carefully with pliers or other suitable tool to increase their grip on the male connectors. Does there seem to be any correlation with damp weather or washing the machine? That might indicate a problem on the high voltage side, cracked spark plug wire connection on the coil or deteriorated insulation on the plug wire. As they are new, you might need to remove the tank and carefully check for chafing damage in the insulation. Intermittent problems are the worst, good luck.

Back