free website stats program rear caliper,1999 softail standard | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear caliper,1999 softail standard

Hi Brian....on with the extended front footpegs, I would prefer to leave the master cylinder in place and but a longer rod to activate the brake, if you have any suggestions of suppliers, let me know, the kit I got on e bay was Arlen Ness 3 inch over standard.

I can not find an arlen ness 3" over stock kit to fit a 99 softail they seem to be for 2000 and later and has an extended brake line to move the master cylinder forward
I can not find an extended brake rod from the suppliers I use might be worth taking the original off and getting an engineering shop to make you a longer one

Brian

Hi Brian, I made a bid and got it on e bay, used.
hence my idea of trying to adapt it, I just didnt have the 155.00 or so for a motorcycle storehouse kit for the softail standard 1999.
if the left side fits ok, then as you say its a case of getting an extended brake rod fabricated for the other side.
will get a photo when fitted. cheers

I hope the kit fits ok I have come across some parts that were not accurately described on ebay and did not fit once I got them and built up a lot of knowledge of when changes occurred for my bikes there were a few costly mistakes but they all added to my knowledge

Brian

I hope the kit fits ok I have come across some parts that were not accurately described on ebay and did not fit once I got them and built up a lot of knowledge of when changes occurred for my bikes there were a few costly mistakes but they all added to my knowledge

Brian

Hi Brian....the parts are back on e bay, it was a gamble, but as you say, a learning process, basically my frame has the three mounting holes for the front pegs a lot closer, the later softail frames, I presume 2000 onwards have them wider spaced.
so still on the lookout, and cost is a deciding factor!

I got the hd extended reach kit for my bike at a good price it was at the time that some dealers in the uk were closing down due to the recession and stock was being sold off at near cost price get the part number for the kit for your bike and search regularly online and it may appear sometime at a good price

Brian

good idea thanks, I did get some Custom Chrome extensions for now, which basically move the pegs and not the pedals, but I do have big feet, so fine for the back brake and gear changing, and much more comfortable///ARLEN NESS kit back on e bay!

Back