free website stats program rear caliper,1999 softail standard | Harley Davidson Forums

rear caliper,1999 softail standard

SE6A

My disc has been getting hot on occasions with the pads dragging...but I had to stop for an hour or so yesterday as it was almost locked up....so time to remedy the problem before I go out again!
I have changed the fluid..and new pads.
The bike is still relatively new to me,so I have no past history,I see rebuild kits available and I guess I will take that route...before I tackle it...anyone have any hints and tips?

You may just be able to clean the pistons up so they will retract some. Patience, a shoe string and some brake fluid is all that is needed. May need to remove the "new" pads if they are already in place. Carefully apply brake to reveal pistons and the definite dirt line. The pistons will pop out if you go too far. Use the shoestring soaked in brake fluid and wrap it around the piston. use the shoe shine method and they should clean right up.
If you have the old pads and a paint stir, you can put them in between the pistons and apply pressure to assure pistons dont pop out.

I had a similar issue a few years back on 92 softail and found that a full rebuild of the rear brake was necessary
I rebuilt the master cylinder it was in a bad way a lot of crud between the housing and cylinder I replaced the brake line with a braided stainless one and rebuilt the caliper

Brian

Cheers Brian...I remember doing the front brake a while ago..full of grey sludge!...so it may be the same this time too...Will the piston come out easy enough or should I remove it with the line attached and gently ease it out using the brake pedal....I see suggestions of using an air line...something I don't have!

You can push the caliper piston most of the way out with the brake pedal but remove the caliper from the bike first and try and get it in a bucket to stop the brake fluid from making a mess
I use an air line but the piston can shoot out pretty quickly

Brian

Have you checked to see if pivot for rear brake lever is binding?????

I had a similar issue a few years back on 92 softail and found that a full rebuild of the rear brake was necessary
I rebuilt the master cylinder it was in a bad way a lot of crud between the housing and cylinder I replaced the brake line with a braided stainless one and rebuilt the caliper

Brian

Thanks Brian, I see Hogparts do a rebuild kit, with piston too for around 25.00, or you can just buy the seal and dust seal for a couple of quid...guess the kit is the way to go...?

Back