free website stats program Rear Brakes Locked Up 2009 FLSTC | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Brakes Locked Up 2009 FLSTC

On another post on this site, I read about somebody calling HD Hq's when the dealer didn't want own up and HD paid for the repair under warranty. So that may be an option for you to go. Might be interesting to find out as well if this a common issue with the pin. As for hearing, smelling anything before the brakes locked up I had no idea anything was wrong till I started slowing down and my bike made a sound like an 18 wheeler hitting its horn, but I really have a good dealership here and they have taken good care of me, as for independents I honestly do not know if HD would pay, but at least its worth a try. Good luck and keep us posted.

I do NOT advise taking the pads or even one pad out to dismount and remount the wheel. Not easy enough to see what is going on particularly on the inside side of the caliper. With a center lift, this should not be necessary. Just work at it. Spread the pads as wide as possible with a putty knife, retracting the pistons all the way into the caliper on both sides. Patience and planning count on this one. And when the wheel is back on, depress the pedal until it is completely firm and the wheel will not turn BEFORE starting the engine.

TQ

Just want to make it clear that the indy did not touch the brakes when he changed the tire. He has been a certified HD mechanic for many years. Just pulled the caliper with the pads untouched to remove it from the rotor to change the tire and reinstalled.

I just can't imagine not hearing or smelling a problem for the first 450 KM you rode before it let go. The brake pad had to be dragging somewhat. (?). Looking at my setup on my 2009, the retainer pin would have to fall out or break for the pad to come out. Strange indeed..

If the square end of the pad was not in the slot, how on earth could you get the caliper back on? Something just does not make sense. Maybe my 2009 is totally different.

I have a 2009 FLSTC. The HD dealer said the pad was not inserted in the clip when the indy installed the wheel. I watched him install the caliper and he had no problem doing it.

I never heard any noise or smelled a problem for over 800 miles until it happened.

The pad was still in the pin when the wheels locked up.

I started riding motorcycles in 1958 and been drag racing cars since 1960.

Agree, remember, the DEALER did the work on my bike cause i do not have the tools to change a tire myself, and I drove it for 500k before it came out.

I am pretty sure the indy has the parts that failed and I will get pictures when I pick up the bike next week.

I will be looking at the bottom of the rear caliper before I ride every time from now on.

On a side note this bike was the only one I never changed the exhaust on. Was very happy with stock.

The only good thing is the indy is the best dyno tuner in the area and made me a deal. Going with Vance&Hines Double Barrel exhaust, HD SE intake and TTS with dyno tune for Stage 1.

Will post b4 and after dyno charts next week.

I am pretty sure the indy has the parts that failed and I will get pictures when I pick up the bike next week.

IMG_0575.jpg

This shows how the rear back side pad was bent when the bottom caliper piston pushed on it.

IMG_0576.jpg

Notice how hot the bottom piston got (whitish color)

IMG_0577.jpg

Notice the bottom of the rear side of the caliper is chewed up. It also chewed up the rotor.

IMG_0578.jpg

We tried several times to install the caliper with the pad not in the clip and the caliper would not slip over the rotor?

It kills me to look at those pictures. What a terrible waste of good parts. Including the rotor I bet it's a $500 job.

Wow. I really would have thought if the square end of the pad was not in place, it would either make a racket, the pads would drag and make some smoke, or the caliper would sit cockeyed. I guess not. It is something I will indeed check from this moment on.

Rode for two months and around 800 miles with no sign of any of those.

On a mahogany board to mount over the fireplace.!

2 things I wont tolerate is shoddy brake work and bad alignments, I dont care how bad it runs if u cant steer or stop I dont want them working for me

Back